Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#346616  by cwhowell2

Sometime in the mid seventies, my wife and I went on a D&H fantrip to Albany to see the Freedom Train. We were invited to ride in the cab and spent much of the return trip in the trailing PA unit. Does anybody have any information about the trip, especially which 2 PA's were used? I have a few pictures taken on the trip but failed to take any of the motive power.
Thanks,
Bill

#346669  by Noel Weaver

I was also on that trip and still have the brochure and the ticket stub. I
may have written the engine numbers down somewhere but I can't check
right now.
One thing I can tell you is that 16 was out of service and was not used on
any of the fantrips of the period.
I might add that I went on a good number of the D&H PA trips and they
were all fabulous, lots of great territory and lots of good memories.
Thanks Mr. Sterzing wherever you are.
Noel Weaver
 #349540  by cwhowell2

I managed to find the date of the trip on Wikipedia. It was April 6, 1975. Also managed to find a picture of the PA's sitting in Colonie dated April 1975. #17 was in the lead but couldn't see the trailing road number.
 #355336  by march hare

I chased that one!

Caught him (in miserable light) at Cobleskill, then again on the back road between Howes Cave and Central Bridge and again at Delanson. Had a freight and a light set of RS3 helpers right in front of him on the way down.

Lighting was better on the afternoon trip back, with milky sun and fresh snow for the chase over the hill. Not much accumulation, but pretty slick on the roads. I was in a VW beetle, the closest thing to a perfect snow car available in those pre-front-wheel-drive days. A buddy behind me in a Volvo spun out 180 degrees on Route 7, right in the middle of the 30A intersection and (chicken!!) gave up the chase at that point. What a wimp!

I should be able to get the unit numbers from my slides--I want to say it was 17 and 19, but I'm not sure. I've never published those pix, 'cause they were all on Fujichrome.
 #355344  by cwhowell2

march hare wrote:I chased that one!

Caught him (in miserable light) at Cobleskill, then again on the back road between Howes Cave and Central Bridge and again at Delanson. Had a freight and a light set of RS3 helpers right in front of him on the way down.

Lighting was better on the afternoon trip back, with milky sun and fresh snow for the chase over the hill. Not much accumulation, but pretty slick on the roads. I was in a VW beetle, the closest thing to a perfect snow car available in those pre-front-wheel-drive days. A buddy behind me in a Volvo spun out 180 degrees on Route 7, right in the middle of the 30A intersection and (chicken!!) gave up the chase at that point. What a wimp!

I should be able to get the unit numbers from my slides--I want to say it was 17 and 19, but I'm not sure. I've never published those pix, 'cause they were all on Fujichrome.
Thanks for the reply. I'll be anxious to hear back when you find the slides. I'm interested to know which direction he was travelling when you got the pictures. My wife and I were in the trailing unit on the trip back to Binghamton. I would also be interested in copies of the slides if you're interested in selling some.
Regards,
Bill
 #356753  by march hare

Indeed, the power for that trip was a pair of PAs, 17 and 19. I confirmed that with some not-so-great photos in my files last night.

19 led coming north, and trailed coming south. So if you rode in the trailing unit on the return trip, you were in the 19.

I've submitted my best pix from that trip a couple of times now, for people who were doing books on the D&H and/or Alco. In each case, they haven't been used, and have been returned to me. However, the slides have not made it back to the main file.

Short version is that I have to track down which submittal batch they're in with. I should be able to find them within a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll have them scanned.
 #356780  by cwhowell2

Thanks March Hare,
I have added my email address to my profile. I'd appreciate any scans you're willing to share.
Bill
 #373726  by cwhowell2

march hare wrote:Indeed, the power for that trip was a pair of PAs, 17 and 19. I confirmed that with some not-so-great photos in my files last night.

19 led coming north, and trailed coming south. So if you rode in the trailing unit on the return trip, you were in the 19.

I've submitted my best pix from that trip a couple of times now, for people who were doing books on the D&H and/or Alco. In each case, they haven't been used, and have been returned to me. However, the slides have not made it back to the main file.

Short version is that I have to track down which submittal batch they're in with. I should be able to find them within a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll have them scanned.
March,
Any luck finding the PA pictures?
Thanks,
Bill
 #377255  by march hare

Just dug up a half dozen photos from that day, the best one coming around the curve at tRuchmondville cemetery alas is still in a book submittal package somewhere and has not shown up.

But there are a few fairly good ones in there. Email me off list and we can make arrangements to scan, print, whatever.

[email protected]