Railroad Forums 

• Falls Village

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1298883  by fender52

I found this photo while going through old family photos. Probably taken by my grandfather late 30's or 40's. Northbound passenger at the Falls at Falls Village on the Berkshire.
Attachments:
Falls 2.jpg
Falls 2.jpg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
 #1309719  by Greg Moore

Great photo. One interesting detail is how few trees/bushes there were compared to now.
 #1309817  by dcm74

Greg Moore wrote:Great photo. One interesting detail is how few trees/bushes there were compared to now.
A few extra sparks from the coal burners constituted vegetation control.
 #1309913  by Greg Moore

dcm74 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:Great photo. One interesting detail is how few trees/bushes there were compared to now.
A few extra sparks from the coal burners constituted vegetation control.
Actually in this case, more likely a reflection of the still relatively newness of the canal :-)
 #1310146  by fender52

Looking back I found that the power plant was built in 1914. I was probably off in my dating of the photo. I know my family lived in the same house in that area since the 1880s.
 #1310761  by Greg Moore

fender52 wrote:Looking back I found that the power plant was built in 1914. I was probably off in my dating of the photo. I know my family lived in the same house in that area since the 1880s.
Where exactly if I may ask?

I grew up in the Falls Village Depot for a bit and two houses along Dublin Road.
 #1311026  by fender52

Greg,
The house was on Dugway Rd, up on a small hill from the road, across from the power plant.
 #1311096  by Greg Moore

fender52 wrote:Greg,
The house was on Dugway Rd, up on a small hill from the road, across from the power plant.
Ok, I know the area well!

We redid the house on the bend in the river (has a barn across the street) back in the early 80s.
 #1311415  by fender52

That's the house, except the barn is gone I believe.

The location was always perfect for watching the trains heading north and south above the power plant.
 #1313514  by NaugyRR

There's a pull-off for the Great Falls on River Road where there's a trail that leads to the remains of the shops. Nothing really left structure-wise, just looks like an overgrown swamp, haha. There's some signage along the trail that has history and some pretty good pictures of what was there.
 #1313650  by Greg Moore

NaugyRR wrote:There's a pull-off for the Great Falls on River Road where there's a trail that leads to the remains of the shops. Nothing really left structure-wise, just looks like an overgrown swamp, haha. There's some signage along the trail that has history and some pretty good pictures of what was there.
If you're there in August, they sometimes drain the canal and hence the pool behind the dam and you can see even more stuff.

But yeah, not much left there.

Not overly useful (since there's very little topo information)

http://images.lib.uconn.edu/cdm/singlei ... aps/id/789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But check that out.