Railroad Forums 

• Falls Road new business?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#277233  by pablo

That line had high speed freight on it? I've never heard that...

Dave Becker

#277374  by clearblock

pablo wrote:That line had high speed freight on it? I've never heard that...

Dave Becker
In late NY Central days the Falls Road was 60MPH passenger & express and 50 MPH freight. Some "hot" trains were #13 Mail & Express and LS-3 freight (Boston - Streator via Detroit). Also auto racks eastbound out of Detroit. It was a busy CTC main until Penn Central started to dismantle it.

#277428  by dummy

thanks TB that would be great.

#278633  by Challenger3985

Yeah I was told by people I know in brockport that back in the day the Falls Road was busy throughout the day. I heard also that it used to have 2 tracks, is that true? I wouldn't mind seeing some old pictures of this line.

#278712  by nessman

The Falls Road used to be double-tracked.

#278767  by TB Diamond

Found a few photos: PC e/b freight from Lockport Road overpass, NF, 17-05-75; e/b freight from overhead bridge at Knowelsville; e/b freight passing the Millville station, 23-09-73. At Knowelsville there was a long passing siding. Also: e/b freight on NYS Barge Canal bridge, Lockport. Have another somewhere of a e/b freight passing the old passenger station in Lockport. Don't have a scanner, alas.