Railroad Forums 

• Fallen Flags

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#52752  by Ken W2KB

From the looks, the LV photo must be from very near the end of rail facilities there, just north of the CNJ. Any idea of the year?
 #53960  by 1st Barnegat

The year of the LV photo must be later than 1973, the year of completion of the first WTC.

In reference to the Erie-Lackawanna photo showing TWO fallen flags (the first being the EL freight itself and the second being two missing towers in the background behind the train, I downloaded it from the web but cannot recall the web site.

The year must be later than 1973. It might be before 1976 - the beginning of ConRail - since the engine is in EL livery, but it also might be later.

The photo appears to be taken by a photographer facing southeast and located somewhere in the Jersey Meadows, possibly near Secaucus. The freight is mostly boxcars and seems centered on a small rise, giving the boxcars a humped look (humped here being a geometric effect - not the railroad term!). Also in the background above the marshes is the ridge of land that forms Weehawken, Hoboken, and other adjacent NJ cities along the Hudson River.

I can email you the EL photo if you want.
 #165851  by 1st Barnegat

More sets of TWO fallen Flags:

The first one is from our own Gerald Oliveto. The second is from SuperVan at railpictures.net. The third one was taken from Newark, NJ. And the fourth is from thebigc, in NJT days.
The last one is the Erie-Lackawanna photo downloaded from the internet, apparently taken not far from the photo by thebigc. (If anyone has ownership of it I will gladly so indictate).

#166259  by GOLDEN-ARM

The LV photo is probably an early 1976 photo. Looks to be a Fred Wilczewski shot, and it is at the LV carfloat operation, at Johnson Ave. The "headhouse" is located on the extreme right of the photo, where the cars are loaded onto the barges (floats). The towers are both complete, in this winter photo, so it's got to be late '75, or early '76. That NW-2 sure looks good......... :wink: