Railroad Forums 

• Fallen Flag Boxcars

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#410963  by gawlikfj

Years ago I used to see boxcars with many roadnames like Great Northern,Northern Pacific,Deleware & Hudson.
I don't see them anymore . Were they repainted or scrapped ?
You see very few fallen flags now. I was just wondering what happened to them.

#411140  by RS112556

Probably a little of both. Older equipment, deemed surplus, was scrapped and newer cars were out shopped wearing the paint and lettering for the present owners.

#411176  by GN 599

If you are ever around a BN or BNSF car with a pre March 1970 build date look underneath at the frame near the trucks. It will say ''FORMER NP 12345''. There are thousands of pre-merger cars still out there but unfortunately with new paint.
 #411252  by gawlikfj

Thank You all for the help. Next time I see a 40ft boxcar or longer ,I will look at the frame.

#444204  by scharnhorst

Also look at the cars as they pass or if you see them on sideings many of them have also been repainted but the orignial road names tend to bleed back threw the new paint as the new paint wears off. I tend to notice older Green Penn Central Cars that were painted Red by Conrail that tend to bleed back with there original PC letters, numbers, and Paint on them.

#445958  by scharnhorst

Back in 1995 or 1996? I got a photo of a 40' Reading Boxcar still in Active on a Conrail work train it was coupled up with a 40' flat car with large generator mounted on it with about 16 camp cars.

#453837  by scooter3798

I still see quite a few CSX 2 bay covered hoppers that still wear B&O and C&O paint schemes, the gray scheme from after the C&O/B&O merger but prior to Chessie, on a fairly regular basis. Also there are still an awful lot of Chessie and Family Lines/Seaboard cars on the CSX roster. NS and CSX also still have a handful of old Erie Lackawanna 70 ton three bay hoppers that they use for ballast and tie service, a good many of which still have their EL reporting marks. Also as mentioned above Penn Central cars aren't too hard too find, especially gondolas, there are even some Pennsy 65 footers roaming around. Then again this is just stuff that I see in the east, out west its probably a whole different story. Also as Otto mentioned a lot of the cars from the "good ol days" are at an age where they are no longer allowed for interchange service, and once a car reached that point it usually doesn't provide much incentive to keep it around.

Scooter

#458210  by scharnhorst

there was an Ex-Georgia Central Boxcar that poped up in Jordon, NY with the Tie gang over the summer.

#459421  by Jackalope

There are still a lot of wood chip cars still painted in their original GN and NP paint that continue to see service in the northwest. I remember in the early 90s seeing a pair of GN boxcars moving together in a train, but those were the first and last that I ever saw.

#459619  by scharnhorst

Jackalope wrote:There are still a lot of wood chip cars still painted in their original GN and NP paint that continue to see service in the northwest. I remember in the early 90s seeing a pair of GN boxcars moving together in a train, but those were the first and last that I ever saw.
Ex GN and NP Woodchip Gons are a common site here in the Northeast many are hauling garbage West out of New York City to land fills in outher states.

#463460  by GN 599

scharnhorst wrote:
Jackalope wrote:There are still a lot of wood chip cars still painted in their original GN and NP paint that continue to see service in the northwest. I remember in the early 90s seeing a pair of GN boxcars moving together in a train, but those were the first and last that I ever saw.
Ex GN and NP Woodchip Gons are a common site here in the Northeast many are hauling garbage West out of New York City to land fills in outher states.
Just to think about 5 years ago I was switching those cars out here in Oregon at a woodchipper that went belly up. I believe they are owned by Greenbriar now so there not true NP or GN cars. Thats still a well traveled car, from Northwest forest procucts to NY city trash...

#472472  by dhaugh

Here in Mankato, MN this past week a huge 1964-built double doored SP boxcar with two tone paint came into town... and is now sitting at the local scrapper.