Railroad Forums 

• Fall 2021 Train Show Schedule for upstate New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1580964  by lvrr325

Has been for some time. Papers came in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Can't find a hotel though, there's a Bills game that Sunday so rates are out of sight. Probably should just go for Saturday only, Sunday will be absolutely dead anyways.
 #1581013  by lvrr325

The folks at the AHTS would like to remind us the Rails Along The Mohawk show will be UPSTAIRS off the NORTH parking area this year, like it was the first two years it was held. "To better control the flow" is the stated reason, which I would presume means they may have directional aisles or something done to appease the local powers that be with regard to the pandemic routine.
 #1581262  by lvrr325

Amsterdam was a good show, well attended, sales were great.

I also have a new date, South Glens Falls is September 16th, which is the same weekend as a big toy show in Vermont so people are having to choose which one they set up at. I don't have the flyer in front of me but the website notes it's in conjunction with the Chase Sports Expo Collectibles Show at the Chase Sports complex, 22 Hudson Falls Rd.

For me it's the same weekend as Batavia and while theoretically possible to do both, yeah, no, they're over 250 miles and 4 1/2 hours apart.
 #1581875  by Old & Weary

After three COVID related cancelations, The Batavia Train Show is back at the Richard C Call Arena at Genesee Community College in Batavia on Oct. 17, 2021 from 9:30 to 3:30. The arena is in the northeast corner of the GCC parking lot. Admission is $6.00, Ages 13-18 $3.00 and under 13 free. There are a snack bar and restrooms in the arena and parking is free. Masks for unvaccinated people are required in the building and recommended for all.
 #1582814  by umtrr-author

The Batavia Train Show took place today. It was nice to catch up with some people I haven't seen for a while. There were some of the regulars plus some vendors I hadn't seen before. As is typical with pre-owned merchandise, prices were everywhere from quite reasonable to "are you kidding?" Example: the same N Scale entry-level freight cars from $3 to $20.

Anyway... an announcement: at the 100th (!) show at Batavia on April 3, 2022, Lakeshores NMRA and the Genesee Society of Model Engineers (the hosts of the show) will have a Railroad Prototype Modelers Meet. I've attached a PDF (hopefully) with information on that event.
Attachments:
(540.71 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
 #1582842  by lvrr325

90% of what goes on in there is people dumping stuff. I bought a $200 engine for $50, a $125 engine for $35 and two $150 engines for $20 each. I brought home a whole crate of stuff to flip. My own sales? One new thing, one guy bought out a ton of model car kits, and the rest cheap used junk. Going to seriously rethink what I bring in and set up at future shows.

I heard they got over 1100 through the door.

I have some new dates to add -

The Trainorama is back, in Lancaster NY on October 31 in a new location, the Variety Clubhouse, 6114 Broadway. They also will be having another one on Jan 30th. I think the latter date falls opposite the big Springfield, MA show but they don't really compete with one another.

The TCA Upstate New York Chapter is having a show November 13th in East Aurora at the Auctions International Events Center on Route 20A. That's a fancy name for the flea market place. Here too opposite another show, Binghamton, but I don't think anyone will be effected by it.

Edgerton had flyers out for a Feb. 26th show which I will capture in the Spring shows post, and the Spring Batavia date is April 3rd. Hopefully they can hold Amsterdam the week after; Easter is the 17th so the 10th is open. Possible Fulton will have a spring show the week after (23-24), going to be a while before they make their plans I think.

One other note, I usually list Scranton on here as it's close for some of the Southern Tier guys. Last I heard they're not doing one this month. Rent went up on the room they use.
 #1583280  by lvrr325

Mailer came today for Greenberg and associated shows for the fall and winter (through end of March). No Rochester show is listed for 2022 (normally the first weekend in March), although they could add one later as the date is open in their schedule. Usually they have it at the Dome, however, and I don't know what's going on there as far as operational status.
 #1584651  by tree68

Syracuse show seemed reasonably well attended. Haven't heard attendance.

The Expo Center certainly allowed things to be spread out. Considering they got bumped into the building, I wouldn't count on being there again next year.
 #1584792  by lvrr325

Per Jeff Paston the show goes back to the cow barn for the next three years. They want to be in the Center of Progress but because the Veterans parade is held that weekend, that group gets first choice and apparently even they don't want to pay for the new building. Which I get but they also only use it for Saturday morning and I don't know why it matters where they set the parade up from all that much. But it's also the Chapter's own fault for giving up the COP some years ago (maybe 10 now) the first time they went to the cow barn. I figured then they'd be lucky to get back in there and it appears now they will only be able to use it in years when Nov. 11th falls on or after the second weekend in November (as in 2018-19-20).

IMHO there were fewer dealers than past years. Sales were decent.

Binghamton today was okay, crowd slowed down more than usual in the afternoon though. I don't know if being opposite Allentown hurts it any. The weather was cool and rainy which is usually good for indoor events.
 #1585346  by lvrr325

Hamburg was it's usual routine, busy Saturday, dead Sunday. Lots of things being dumped cheap too.

I did see flyers to confirm the Broadway Market show is December 18-19 this year.

I also have confirmed dates now for almost all of the spring season, as flyers were out for Utica, winter Hamburg, and a few others. Camillus, Amsterdam, the spring Fulton show are unconfirmed and TTCS has one show they don't have a location for yet. TTCS also needs to update their website. I will probably make the thread later this week.

Edit: My bad. TTCS has posted a new schedule page and Google still pulls up the old one first. They have dates for all their 2022 shows except the Shamrock show in Rochester which is in need of a location.

It also notes the Autum in The Southern Tier (Olean) show is no longer a TTCS show - is this one done, or just promoted by someone else?
 #1585893  by lvrr325

Be aware high probability of a cancel on the RIT Tiger Tracks show. While currently it is still on:

Monroe County has declared a state of emergency because some 230 out of 742,000 people are in hospitals with the virus (0.0035%) and for some reason we must all now suffer.

The college has demanded vendors provide their papers to be able to set up for the show. This is a change since just last week. As yet the club has not notified vendors that I am aware of - I only found it because I happened to check the website.

From what I gather the next step for the county is to go on full papers please mode for everyone along the lines of NYC and at that point I can't see them trying to hold a show because people are not going to put up with that on top of the metal detector, the long walk and all the other nonsense you have to go through to go to this one. Plus I would expect a number of vendor cancellations, whether they be unvaxxed, or simply on the principle that asking violates their privacy.
 #1585902  by nydepot

I know you can read, Bill. What you cite below is not why. It's about bed & worker capacity at the hospitals. The SoE allows them to order increases and stop elective surgeries.

RIT is still in-person for everything.
lvrr325 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 am Monroe County has declared a state of emergency because some 230 out of 742,000 people are in hospitals with the virus (0.0035%) and for some reason we must all now suffer.
 #1585910  by eolesen

As of yesterday, there is also now a nationwide stay in place over firing health care workers based on vax status, which should help with that worker shortage. Not sure how it affects those already axed not vax'dd.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1585941  by umtrr-author

I'm not sure when this was added to the RIT Tiger Tracks page. Excuse the all Capital Letters, I did a copy and paste.
DUE TO RIT REQUIREMENTS, ALL VENDORS COMING TO THE SHOW MUST PRESENT PROOF OF VACCINATION BEFORE ENTERING. MASKS WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL VENDORS / PUBLIC.
 #1586383  by lvrr325

I only mentioned enough from a news report as was relevant to the situation. That I chose to word it in a way to show how asinine it is, rather than the purposely obtuse way the TV news worded it, was my choice. There's more to it, but it's not a topic for this forum.

The verbiage on the show site was added sometime after Thanksgiving, it was not there when I purchased my table, but I am told club members were aware at Syracuse and told vendors there. None spoke to me, but I had not purchased a table yet.

This RIT show your papers rule only applies if people are going to be on campus more than one day. I considered the options and will likely go ahead and go Saturday and make it a one day show. That only because I expect some other vendors may drop out entirely which means more potential sales for me, but at the same time I don't feel it's the college's business to see any of my medical information and the loss in sales versus the cost to stay over is negligible. From what I am told if anyone does want to drop out they're doing refunds no problem.

I probably should make it clear, I don't blame the club in any way. It's not their decision. They're kind of stuck because short of moving to an off-campus facility they have to abide by whatever rules the college sticks them with. Moving off campus is self-defeating because they also have an open house in the club room.

I didn't catch the attendance for GTE in Albany this year, but it must have been large. it was BUSY, I could hardly get away from the table to use the bathroom until after 1:00 and my sales were very high - in fact I sold more here by a good margin than Syracuse or Hamburg.

I also was able to confirm a couple more dates for 2022, so I can make a post for them now. There's just two I have no info on; the CNY NRHS Camillus show is unknown as of last I looked and the TTCS Shamrock show still shows no location.