Railroad Forums 

• Fairhaven/Marion/Wareham Branch - current status

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#710777  by elecuyer

Hi All.

Does anyone know if there is still rail down on the former New Haven Branch from Wareham (Tremont Jct.) to the gravel pit about 2 miles south of Tremont? I *think* I recall reading somewhere that the rail is still there, but long out of use. The USGS map of the area shows the rail in place, but it is 30 years old.

Thanks,

-Ed Lecuyer
 #710811  by GP40MC1118

The rail is still in place as far as the sand pit, including the spur into the pit. However, the line is
extremely grown in and just east of the sand pit crossing, I believe part of the embankment along
a long pond was eroding away (i.e. tie end sticking out in mid-air). I have not been down there in
several years though.

Dave
 #710820  by elecuyer

Thanks. Do you (or anyone reading this) live or travel near there? I am curious as to the weight (dimensions) of the rail. The NH track chart shows it as "less than 78lb" rail. I am looking for a source of 60lb rail. Basically, you can measure the rail weight by measuring the distance of the web of the rail and the rail's height. If they are both 4.25" (or less) I would be VERY interested.
 #711379  by elecuyer

Determining ownership of the rail would be one step - after the rail weight is determined, and deemed suitable for the prescribed use. In this case, I am specifically trying to identify potential sources of 60# rail in New England for use at the WW&F Railway Museum where I am an active volunteer. We have gotten rail from many sources (including salvaging from state-owned lines.) Obviously, proper permissions, abandonment, and compensation are provided before any rail is reused at the museum.
 #725890  by elecuyer

The measurements taken by one of our members show the rail at 4-1/2 inches wide and 4-5/16 tall. (Heaver rail is used right at the crossings - so you have to go into the ROW a touch to get this size.) The rail charts put that at 65# rail - which unfortunately is a tad too large for the WW&F.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
 #726681  by charding

Yes, there are plenty of signs of the ROW not only in Mattapoisett, but also in Fairhaven; the Fairhaven section is now a bike trail from the harbor to the Mattapoisett town line and work is already underway in Mattapoisett and I think Marion also to extend it and take full advantage of the entire ROW; the ROW in Mattapoisett as it goes by the YMCA provides a great panarama of the Mattapoisett Harbor.
 #1293578  by BM4224

Almost all of the ROW is visible in each town if you look closely. In Fairhaven it's rather easy to spot because of the bike trail. In Mattapoisett,it becomes a dirt trail, but you can still make it out. The ROW curves North, where the Mattapoisett Depot was located. It then ran what would be considered parallel with Interstate 195 today, and into Marion, past the sand pit and on to Tremont/West Wareham.
 #1294430  by highgreen215

I had the distinct pleasure of dining on a cup of clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch a number of years ago. The memories are getting a bit hazy now, but sometime in the 1980s a special train of rail enthusiasts was operated by (I think) the original Cape Cod Central between Hyannis and Attleboro with the two handsomely painted ex-MBTA F10s in Great Northern colors. The unique CCC car with a long bar serving light meals was in the consist. One of the special treats was to back s-l-o-w-l-y down the Fairhaven Branch as far as possible - the rails groaning under the load. It was there, that my dad and I enjoyed our clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch - a precious memory.
 #1296011  by BM4224

highgreen215 wrote:I had the distinct pleasure of dining on a cup of clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch a number of years ago. The memories are getting a bit hazy now, but sometime in the 1980s a special train of rail enthusiasts was operated by (I think) the original Cape Cod Central between Hyannis and Attleboro with the two handsomely painted ex-MBTA F10s in Great Northern colors. The unique CCC car with a long bar serving light meals was in the consist. One of the special treats was to back s-l-o-w-l-y down the Fairhaven Branch as far as possible - the rails groaning under the load. It was there, that my dad and I enjoyed our clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch - a precious memory.
That must have been quite some time ago! Those rails haven't been used in years
 #1296723  by wog820

highgreen215 wrote:I had the distinct pleasure of dining on a cup of clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch a number of years ago. The memories are getting a bit hazy now, but sometime in the 1980s a special train of rail enthusiasts was operated by (I think) the original Cape Cod Central between Hyannis and Attleboro with the two handsomely painted ex-MBTA F10s in Great Northern colors. The unique CCC car with a long bar serving light meals was in the consist. One of the special treats was to back s-l-o-w-l-y down the Fairhaven Branch as far as possible - the rails groaning under the load. It was there, that my dad and I enjoyed our clam chowder on the Fairhaven Branch - a precious memory.

That was an awesome trip, March 7,1992 . One of the F-10's was just painted the day before only lettered on one side.
 #1297055  by MaineCoonCat

wog820 wrote:

That was an awesome trip, March 7,1992 . One of the F-10's was just painted the day before only lettered on one side.
If this was the "Cape Cod Railroad Railfan Day" it was one of the first "dates" and first shared railfan experiences with my now late spouse. I had gone back to the rear coach to take photos as we knocked over saplings growing between the rails. When I returned to our seats with the branches hitting the windows I thought she'd be frightened. Smiling, she said "This is great!". That's when I "knew".. I still have the tee shirt. Wish I still had her..