Railroad Forums 

• F40PH-3C overhaul program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1560665  by djimpact1

As a railfan, and appreciative observer of the interaction occurring within these (MBTA) forums, I do want to ask a serious question which relates to what this thread has seemingly become focused on (itself being a small indication of general "railfandom"):

Why is there such high interest in regularly tracking a fleet's locomotives' whereabouts, when not in active service? I've honestly never understood the fascination of when a loco leaves, is in transit, or returns to its general operating area. (I do understand the interest in work performed...just not where it wanders the country.) In this instance, I'm thrilled that the rebuild program is occurring with these units, and have great interest in the actual work performed. As far as when & where it travels to get such work done, not so much.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.
(edited for spelling)
 #1560668  by Red Wing

As a citizen of the Commonwealth it's nice to see what the T is doing to improve service and as a railfan if I get a picture of it at a weird location.
 #1560675  by djimpact1

Red Wing wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:33 pm As a citizen of the Commonwealth it's nice to see what the T is doing to improve service and as a railfan if I get a picture of it at a weird location.
In this case, you know what they're doing...having F40PH units majorly overhauled. I just don't see how a picture and/or knowledge of the transport of a unit correlates to its pending service. The transport of the unit is what yields what the "T is doing": improving service (which the unit isn't in during transport).
 #1560721  by GP40MC1118

My interest is in locomotive rosters, retirements, dispositions, etc. It's my area of the hobby I enjoy. I keep locomotive rosters for all six
New England states including industrials, shortlines, etc. This particular thread provides information how the overhaul program is progressing.
The comings and goings of these units are all part of that. Posting "in-transit info/pictures" gives people an opportunity to see or photograph
them. Nothing more, nothing less.