Railroad Forums 

• F-Units

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#2923  by MR77100

When did C&NW retire the last of their F-units from freight service? I know a few of them did last into the mid-80's. Where were they based out of? I know that many were in Marshalltown, Iowa.

#4199  by bones

The 200 series freight units ran till about 1982. About that time they purchased the SD24's from Precesion National. They were used in northern Iowa around Oelwein, Marshalltown, Mason Sity, and Albert Lea, MN.

Now in Chicago, the 400 series surburban F7's moonlighted in freight service on the weekends pulling autoracks to Janesville, WI, Belvidere, IL, and pulling manifest freights to Butler, WI. That lasted until about 1983 ahen they were replaced by F40PH's.

At that time a small handfull were choosen to be rebuilt for executive service. When they were power short, they would often be used for "Falcon Service" trains. Mighty big shoes to fill for a 35 year old F-unit.
 #21757  by Kangaroo of 72

That lasted until about 1983 when they were replaced by F40PH's.
Was 1983 the last year for all of the F-7s/E-8s in suburban service?

#22167  by MR77100

Kangaroo-
That sounds about right. I remember reading in the October, 1982 TRAINS about RTA placing an order for 24 more F40PH diesels to"replace E's and F's on C&NW."

#28435  by bones

E8's lasted until about 1990!

#92601  by Hambone

I've got a pic of a F3 up in Minneapolis back in 1983.....it was stored tho.

#93243  by AmtrakFan

Well they brought several in the 70's from PNC.

John

#143616  by BlockLine_4111

NJ Transit used some CNW F-units in 1983-85 on push-pull service from Hoboken, NJ. These locos had a HEP package.

The units were limited to 3 - 4 coach trains plus couldn't 'hold the schedule'. Very problematic too on the ex-DL&W between Maplewood and Summit, NJ. One train stalled on the grade and another caught on fire too.