Railroad Forums 

• Extraneous track on NS Main in Holland

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#116152  by WNYRailfan

Has anyone noticed that on the former LS&MS Main (NS) in Holland there are long pieces of track laid inbetween the current trackage?
(The track runs east of the I-475/US-23 bridge and west into downtown Holland)

Are there plans to replace the current trackage?

Or is this just someplace to put the rail?

#116203  by nycrick

They're installing new rail along the whole route.

#116417  by WNYRailfan

nycrick wrote:They're installing new rail along the whole route.
From which mp to which mp are they installing new track and why?
I didn't think the current track was that old.

Does this include plans to sever old unused sidings?

#116428  by matt

I've seen it from 292 westward to I believe 304...not sure about beyond.

#116693  by nycrick

The track crew was working on the main next to Springfield High today.

#120417  by WNYRailfan

Does anyone know if along with NS track improvement they will discuss repaving the McCord Rd. crossing in Holland, OH?

Any idea why the crossing is uneven? The area looks flat enough that the crossing should be even...but it is not.

#120468  by nycrick

Since the general plan is to replace the crossing with an overpass I doubt they'll do much of anything to the crossing unless conditions get real bad & unsafe. The overpass is scheduled in the next 5-7 years. Probably about the same time they re-do Vickers. :-)

#120763  by mike

Currently, the track gang is just west of the Wenz Rd. crossing. I heard the Toledo west DS talk an eastbound past a stop signal at 297, with train 205 waiting at 292. I would imagine things bottleneck up a bit when the gang is out working..

#120822  by WNYRailfan

nycrick wrote:Since the general plan is to replace the crossing with an overpass I doubt they'll do much of anything to the crossing unless conditions get real bad & unsafe. The overpass is scheduled in the next 5-7 years. Probably about the same time they re-do Vickers. :-)
Hmm...Overpass??

I highly doubt that.

The Outback storage company would get upset to lose business.
As will the Wal-Mart Corp. because they have SAMS Club near the intersection and by 2007 they will have a Wal-Mart in the empty lot that is West of SAMS Club.

Besides, where would the approaches be laid...it is too close to other structures and Airport Highway (OH-2).

#120875  by nycrick

The overpass is part of an effort to eliminate busy & dangerous grade crossings in NW Ohio that was announced by Gov. Taft a few years ago. As for access there's plenty of room to relocate Spring Meadow's access roads.

#121114  by matt

How about repaving the crossing at Westwood, I swear you could start an auto parts business with what you find falling off vehicles after crossing that mess.

#121287  by nycrick

If you think Westwood is bad, try the ones on Matzinger by Hallet or on N. Detroit by Northtowne Mall!