Railroad Forums 

• Exploring lost railroads of Mexico .

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1278020  by David Benton

Modern Ruins: An Artist’s Vehicle Designed to Traverse 9,000 Kilometers of Abandoned Railways in Mexico
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/06/m ... of-mexico/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some stunning photos here.
 #1278022  by philipmartin

How do you loose a railroad? Forget where you put it? Alright, abandoned. In one of those pictures the railroad looks in pretty good shape for an abandoned line. You'd think they'd pull up the rails and use them elsewhere.
 #1278046  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:How do you lose a railroad? Forget where you put it? Alright, abandoned. In one of those pictures the railroad looks in pretty good shape for an abandoned line. You'd think they'd pull up the rails and use them elsewhere.
The Mexican government took the tainted advice from their north American neighbour and privatised their system. The companies that took over the lines -(?Union Pacific etc) insisted on dropping passenger service. I shall never visit Mexico.
 #1278078  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: I shall never visit Mexico.
Back on the dangerous places thread, the Juarez area isn't too healthy, I understand. I visited Juarez years ago, walking across the bridge between there and El Paso. I felt a little uneasy, but nothing happened. The people lived in mud huts, and the choir in the cathedral sounded like the Vienna Boys Choir.
 #1278081  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: The Mexican government took the tainted advice from their north American neighbour and privatised their system.
Again, this is something that I know nothing about, but I am surprised that a Marxist leaning government like that of Mexico would privatize anything.
 #1278169  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:
george matthews wrote: The Mexican government took the tainted advice from their north American neighbour and privatised their system.
Again, this is something that I know nothing about, but I am surprised that a Marxist leaning government like that of Mexico would privatize anything.
It's not in any way Marxist. There might have been a Marxist phase about the time of the Revolution.
 #1278174  by David Benton

When I was there in the late 1980's , Mexico had an extensive passenger system. It was difficult to obtain seat space, though I was there around Easter , a big holiday in a catholic country. The last train I rode was brand new, and an attempt to improve things, with at seat meal service.
I understand bus service improved rapidly in the latter years, and ate into railway passenger patronage, still it is hard to see how passenger service shrunk to almost nothing now ( a few copper canyon excursions).
I have read that what George said was true, a condition of the USA railroads buying into the Mexican railroads was for passenger trains to end. What public opinion was on this , I do not know, but i would say a good number saw superior bus and air services, and said , oh well , too bad.
 #1287998  by johnthefireman

philipmartin wrote:How do you lose a railroad? Forget where you put it?
Reminds me of a sketch from the old British comedy show Beyond the Fringe. Alan Bennett is interviewing Peter Cook, posing as a senior police officer, about the Great Train Robbery. At some point Cook feels it necessary to make clear that the term "Great Train Robbery" is inaccurate as at no time were any trains actually stolen; it was only money that was stolen. The whole sketch is on YouTube but I can't access YouTube on my current internet connection so I can't post the link.
 #1288007  by philipmartin

Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUrhdIxTJSA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this stuff up.
Thank God for British entertainment. I remember Martyn Green when the D'Oyly Carte, (Gillbert & Sullivan,) came to New York after the war. Those performances put me in another world. I was listening to "The Gondoliers" yesterday.