Railroad Forums 

• Explored Ironton/LVRR in Coply today - findings

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1111525  by carajul

Did some exploring of the LVRR main in the Whitehall/Coply area today. Wow, mother nature is sure taking over. Literraly no sign at all of the LVRR, except for the telegraph poles. Not one tie or rail or spike. The area where the Cementon station was by Whitehall Cement looks the same, and the small yard into the cement mill is also untraceable. You would never know a 65 mph rr was there just 2 decades ago years ago.

Also explored the Ironton where it paraleled the LVRR in Coply. The IRR engine house is now a private home. I was taking pics from the rail-trail and the home owner came out, followed me for a while, and then started yelling at me to get off his property and stop taking photos (um, I was on the rail trail stupid!!!). Hard to imagine I was standing on the ground where that IRR Baldwin was running with cement cars and the LVRR freights flew by just a stone's throw away. Very sad for a rail fan. The trail was very active with hikers. Biery yard was just recently cleared looks like a sewer main install.

I took some photos of the Thomas Iron works shell and again people were following me and pointing at me all strange. WTF I'm minding my own business taking photos! Unbelievable to comparte before after pics of the area.
 #1111716  by charlie6017

My best advice is to ignore them, and as long as you're on public property you'll be fine. Some people have
nothing better to do than to be dicks, and it's just life, unfortunately. Another thing you'll want to have on you
is the "Photo Rights" flyer. If you don't, then click the link I am putting below and print it out and keep it on you
or in your camera bag (or whatever). I would just advise not being confrontational, as things can escalate quickly.
I sometimes need to take my own advice at times! :-)

Here's the link!

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Charlie
 #1112944  by carajul

Actually it's often called the "engine house" but that building was the admin office. It's a stone structure. The engine house was located inbetween the LVRR and IRR main. It was 2 tracks with pits. The rails and pits are still there, albiet filled in.

I think CR sold it to a real estate investor who made 2 apartments inside. The windows are all replaced and the stone facade has been cleaned up. And it has a new roof. There was a large spotlight just under the roof and that has been replaced with a modern street light looking thing. On the front of the building there is a mural painted of an IRR steam loco.