• Explanation of this "temporary" sign?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Northwest727

I noticed the other day, on a CSX railroad that runs past my house, a new, "temporary" looking sign on the side of the track (see the attached image I made in Photoshop). What does this sign mean?
  by justalurker66

NAME: Advance Warning Sign (Rule 43 and 707)
INDICATION: Prepare to reduce speed or stop, limits as directed

Rule 43. On main tracks, signaled tracks, or sidings the locations of temporary speed restrictions and work force limits are designated by dispatcher message, and are indicated by the following sign placement:
(a) Temporary Speed Restriction:
(1) A Warning Sign, located at least two miles before the restriction. This sign must be placed to the right of the track, if feasible;
(2) A Temporary Reduce Speed Sign located at the beginning of the restriction. This sign must be placed to the right of the track, if feasible; and
(3) A Temporary End Restriction Sign located at the end of the restriction. This sign must be placed to the left of the track, if feasible.

Looks like someone is working on the railroad ...
  by rob216

If my memory is correct, I think it means a start of a temporary reduced speed zone.
  by FarmallBob

rob216 wrote:If my memory is correct, I think it means a start of a temporary reduced speed zone.
That's how I understand it. I've heard the sign occasionally referred to by operating crews as as a "firecracker".
cIMG_2877 firecracker.JPG
  by justalurker66

More like "reduce speed ahead" ... normally 2 miles but the sign is placed closer if there is a junction closer to the restricted zone than 2 miles.
Think of it as a reminder ... "remember that restriction you read about in your paperwork? You're getting close."

The actual beginning of the restricted zone would be (normally) two miles down the track.
  by roadster

This sign is also used in conjunction with Rule 89 work zones, where a Foreman in charge of a work gang places temp stop signs at designated mp locations. Again warning the crew that they must approach the temporary stop sign prepared to stop if permission is not recieved by the Foreman in charge of the zone.
  by Northwest727

Thanks for the replies everyone. The sign is now gone, but I noticed further on down the line, some track maintenance machinery parked on a siding, so I am assuming that they were closer to my house earlier. I certainly learn something new every day.