Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#366935  by NS VIA FAN

This is what VIA calls a “J” (Joined) Train. VIA #52 & #40 are coupled as far as Brockville, Ontario where they are separated. #52 continues to Montreal and #40 goes to Ottawa.

It is quite common for VIA to operate J-Trains in the corridor and sometime you may even see 2 units at mid train coupled nose to nose.

6400 is the first rebuilt F40 in the new paint scheme and is being moved around the system for display.

#370978  by gp9rm4108

Trains 56 and 42 are also done like that as well. Sometimes 68 and 48 are done like that too (the 68 might be wrong), but that only happens when there are delays.

As for the reason why 52 has two units upfront, I imagine its because the 6400 was needed back in Montreal so they just tacked in on the head end.

VIA also very frequently will place a unit on both ends of their "speed" trains between TO and Mon. so that they can just stop and go instead of having to turn the train.

BUT ... this is an awesome pic for whoever took that to get a Genesis and an F40, the renessaince F40 at that together!!

#371054  by L'mont

Any reason why a 3 car train needs 2 locomotives?

#371363  by Ken V

There is no reason a three car train needs two locomotives. The second one is most likely running "in tow" (i.e. not used at all for power). VIA will often add extra locomotives or cars to some trains, simply as a means to move them from one terminal to another. In this case, F40 6400 was needed in Montreal for later use on the Ocean to Halifax.

(P.S. there are four cars following the locomotives in this photo, not that it matters)

#371506  by gp9rm4108

I said before too that VIA will also have locomotives on each end of some of their corridor trains so that when one set gets to either TO or Mon. they don't have to turn the train for its return trip.

#371555  by L'mont

Right, I noticed it was 3, but either way 2 locos seems like a lot. I understand about deadheading though. Thanks!

#450263  by Silverliner II

Intresting that they can combine trains like that too; the FRA would never let Amtrak combine trains like that here, with the locomtive simply coupling up to the rear of the first train. I do believe that's a no-no here...

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

#452781  by mkellerm

I'm not sure about that; when the Capitol and Lake Shore were detouring on the Michigan Line a few months ago, they operated in this arrangement. I don't know whether they needed a special waver to do that or not.

Back to Via, why are some trains joined and others not? Is is an issue of track capacity, or manpower, or what?
 #452937  by jp1822

I think it is merely an issue of scheduling - train leaves Toronto on same line as the train leaving to Montreal and Ottawan. Then eventually, the train reaches a point and the trains can split. I would assume there is cost savings if VIA does this practice.

One thing however, I though VIA was a little short on motive power, so I am surprised to hear about "extra" units and the possibility of VIA avoiding a turn (i.e. loco on both ends). The P42's rarely seem to venture outside of the Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa-Quebec corridor. Largely they are the trains serving the later three desintations. Are there any specific assignments other than general corridor use for the P42s?

Also, what does VIA have in storage? Perhaps I should start another thread. Do they still have the ex-Amtrak Heritage 10-6's that failed to operate on the Hudson Bay Line? Could they be put to service in the East? What about other ex-Amtrak Heritage cars VIA purchased from Amtrak. I know some were just purchashed more for parts, while others did get rennovated for service. Any ex-Heritage Amtark domes around in VIA storage? And where is the Glen Fasier car? Is this strictly for charter use - or does VIA still try to bring this car out? One would think they would want to bring it out on certain services as an advertisement unto itself - that it is available for charter!

#452957  by Ken V

mkellerm wrote:...why are some trains joined and others not? Is is an issue of track capacity, or manpower, or what?
Manpower would seem to be the obvious answer but that's not the case. The operating crew for the second train rides the whole way and are on the clock whether they have anything to do or not. Sometimes the trains run individually instead of combined (for several possible reasons) and both crews would be needed.

The main reason for doing this is for scheduling (track capacity, perhaps). By running as a single unit there is less likelihood of delays due to opposing traffic, trackwork blocks, breakdowns, etc.. There is also a savings in fuel since one larger consist would use less than two shorter ones. The trade-off would be multiple or longer station stops for very long trains.
Last edited by Ken V on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.