Railroad Forums 

• Excavating the Bergen Arches

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1073165  by oldrow51

I'm looking for any photos of the actual excavation of the Bergen Arches in Jersey City. I read somewhere that the Erie Railroad hired a photographer to document the tremendous undertaking but no one seems to know what became of those pictures. In all my searching I have only found one picture of the actual excavation. Anyone know where I might find more information about this? Thanks.
 #1080263  by Deel

Steamtown had an exibit about "what's under the railroad yard", or something to that effect. Basically they conducted an archaeological dig in a few key areas of Scranton's ex DL&W yard. I couldn't believe the fascinating items that were found. Pieces of fine china from the Phoebe Snow, insulators, conductors punch, thousands of coins, and so much more great stuff. I wonder why "digs" such as this aren't done much more in our country. Imagine what could be found under The ex Lehigh Valley's Sayre yard, or even in Binghamton Yard, Bevier Street yard, or any other. It seems to me that preserving railroad history is so much less important than other causes. Ridiculous if you ask me...
 #1081063  by umtrr-author

First, it costs money and time.

Second, there are all kinds of other interesting "materials" that probably would also be excavated... toxins, heavy metals...

leading to Third: who would absorb the potential liability from finding those interesting "materials"?
 #1081171  by chief

Jersey City library had a collection of photos of the Bergen Archs when they were being constructed.I viewed them about 30 years ago.