Railroad Forums 

• Ex. Reading West Cressona Roundhouse destroyed by fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#229051  by Schuylkill Valley

I was at the Leesport train show yesterday,March 26, 06 and I was told that the Ex. Reading roundhouse burned down early yesterday morning around 2:00 a.m. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

Another piece of history up in smoke! What a shame.

Len.
Last edited by Schuylkill Valley on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

#229076  by Schuylkill Valley

I found this information on channel 16 news website.
Fire Destroys Schuylkill County Factory

Flames destroyed a factory early Sunday morning in Cressona.
Sunday, March 26, 8:16 a.m.

A fire that destroyed a factory in Schuylkill County could be the work of an arsonist.

The flames at Cressona Textile Waste started around 2:30 a.m. Sunday. The factory at the corner of Front and Railroad streets in Cressona makes cleaning rags for other businesses.

People living near the factory said they saw flames shooting from the building.

Firefighters from Cressona and many surrounding communities were still on the scene more than six hours later trying to put out the flames. Several streets in Cressona were closed to traffic on Sunday. Officials said it could be well into the afternoon before the fire is out completely.

Fire Chief Rich Dronick said someone was seen running from the area just as the fire started. He said the fire took off fast and there was nothing they could do to save the building.

Some homes in the area were evacuated due to heavy smoke early in the morning.

I saw this picture on Railfan.net