Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#496567  by lvrr325

Judging from the photo, it needs too much work to meet FRA specs to have left on it's own wheels. So it's pretty much a matter of when it's scrap value exceeds it's value as a parts source -

#496717  by scottychaos

The recent news the same as its been for the last 10 years or more.
nothing has changed..its still a derelict, its a parts engine, 99.9% likely it will never turn a wheel again. :(

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 5-5067.jpg

Its a C425, not a C424.

built as PRR 2431 - PC 2431 - CR 2431 - CR 5067 - NYLE 5067

I dont believe it ever actually operated with NYLE..it was always a parts unit for them..anyone know when it arrived in Gowanda?
I know it was retired by CR in 1980..

Scot

#496878  by lvrr325

Most of the units Conrail renumbered to the 5000-series never even operated for Conrail with those numbers. But I'd bet the unit came with the 6101 from M-K - seems like both were leftovers from the GE rebuild program at Hornell that did units for GBW and D&H among others.

#499176  by uhaul

Thank you for the information. Is there any legal and/or safe way to photograph this locomotive?

#499182  by pablo

I think that this locomotive is viewable from the road. It might have been bounced around a bit, so perhaps this is no longer the case.

Dave Becker