Railroad Forums 

• Ex LIRR Alco C420

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#375496  by metman499

It was still there sitting in the deadline the last time I was up there.

#375529  by Alcoman

Nothing new with the 41. It was looked at by the D-L in 2006 and found to have a "frozen" block. Another words; they tried to manually turn it over, but was not able to. Rust within the engine is what causes it to be "frozen".

#375667  by Mr GP10

Again Thank you for the replies. How does the "frozen" engine block get fixed? Can it be fixed? How far is Scranton from NYC? Alcoman can you please send me a private message? Thank You.

#375685  by Alcoman

It depends on hoe badly its frozen. In order to "free it", it has to be turned over by hand by using a turning devise attached to the engine at the "free" end. In this case, it could not be turned over at all! Basket case.

#375706  by RS-3

As I understand it, this engine has some other serious problems that pretty much kill any chance of it ever running again, shot of a full blown overhaul.

RS

#379237  by Mr GP10

Sounds very interesting. I hope that someday It will be able to run again :-D