Railroad Forums 

• Ex CR Fort Wayne Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#47961  by Beech Cricker

Who currently operates what portions of the former Conrail Fort Wayne Line across Ohio? I'm particularly interested in where the changeover from NS to CSX takes place...is it at the diamond in front of the former CREST tower in Crestline?

#48037  by chessie8212

The changeover does indeed take place at the diamond at Crestline. However, the CSX still ran on this line as I have seen both NS and CSX trains on this line. Presently, the Chicago, Ft Wayne & Eastern are operating the line supposedly between Chicago and Crestline, but I have yet to see any of their locos or trains in Crestline. As far as I know, the CF&E operates as far west as Lima usually without going much further.

#48114  by MR77100

I think NS owns the line east of Crestline and CSX owns it to the west. NS does have trackage rights over the line from Bucyrus to Crestline, as they installed a connecting track in Bucyrus on the SE quadrant. I believe this was done in 1999. Also that year, CSX constructed a connector on the NW quadrant of the Crestline diamond, and the main track had to be shoved over several feet to the south to make more room under the overpass. How often does NS use the PRR to east of Crestline?

#48601  by railohio

NS owns the Ft. Wayne Line east of Crestline and CSX owns it west. The CSX portion is currently leased to the Chicago, Ft. Wayne & Eastern which is a RailAmerica operation based out of Piqua Yard in Ft. Wayne. CFtW&E has regular operations as far east as Bucyrus. The only runs to Crestline were to qualify the crews at start-up. I don't have any exact numbers available, but I would say that NS operates about a dozen trains east of Colsan on trackage rights.

#48615  by AmtrakFan

railohio wrote:NS owns the Ft. Wayne Line east of Crestline and CSX owns it west. The CSX portion is currently leased to the Chicago, Ft. Wayne & Eastern which is a RailAmerica operation based out of Piqua Yard in Ft. Wayne. CFtW&E has regular operations as far east as Bucyrus. The only runs to Crestline were to qualify the crews at start-up. I don't have any exact numbers available, but I would say that NS operates about a dozen trains east of Colsan on trackage rights.
What is their Roster and do they use the IHB Yard in Chicago?

AmtrakFan

#49002  by Hoosier Joe

The Chicago,Fort Wayne and Eastern has been using GP38-2's 3880and 3886 on the Fort Wayne to Decatur local this past month.Another forum says they have eight locomotives, so perhaps the numbers are 3880-3887. Joe G.

#49277  by railohio

The CFtW&E has eight ex-CNW GP38-2's on their roster. Two are repainted in the old RailTex standard red and gray with CFtW&E logos on the nose. The other units are still in CNW, and I'd assume UP, yellow. The CFtW&E has also been borrowing some six-axle power from the I&O system, including IORY SD40-2 4083, NYSW SD70M 4054, and CEFX SD45 9500.

I don't have any visual confirmation of this myself, but I'm told that the CFtW&E trains have been operating to/from Clearing Yard in Chicago.