Railroad Forums 

• Ex CNJ (Now NS) line to Phillipsburg

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1244012  by CNJ Fan 4evr

NS is definitely NOT like Conrail. Back in the "blue days" you knew when and what trains were coming through.Alot of daylight action. Now it is anybody's guess. One day 21M can go through at 9am and next day at 10:45.As far as what symbols run when I know very little. I know empty rack train runs usually on Tuesdays after 21m clears.A buddy will text me if he knows I'm out and lets me know if anything is moving. Two weeks ago I waited at Bloomsbury for 2 hours and all I saw was a big tom cat cross the tracks. Back during CR, Sunday was hopping from daylight until noon. I'm going to try Bound Brook / South Plainfield tomorrow. Hope to catch some CSX down that way.
 #1244118  by baldwr

I reccomend the site http://www.parailfan.com.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Yes it is primarily a PA site, but very helpful for the NS Lehigh Line. If you click on train symbols, it will take you to this page: http://www.parailfan.com/Database/search.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you filter your search by Railroad (NS) and Line/Subdivision (NS Lehigh Line), you can ge an overview of all trains on this line to/ from the various Jersey Terminals. The site also has a timetable for the line which is helpful in identifying MP numbers.

Lastly, there is also a Yahoo group for the NS Lehigh Line that seems to be very active posting train movements and special moves.

Since moving from Bound Brook to Clinton, I have found these tools useful.
 #1244953  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I did Bound Brook Sunday and was glad I did. Got lots of foreign power and also a couple of CSX trains.3+ hours of railfanning enjoyment despite the cold temperatures. I managed to beat detour rain I5t with PRR heritage unit back to P'burg.Surprising considering he got about a 40 minute jump on me. YES, I did break the 65 mph speed limit on I 287 and I 78 :P .