Railroad Forums 

• Event at Tuckahoe this Saturday

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#14617  by OCtrainguy

According to Railpace "Hot News", the West Jersey Chapter of the NRHS will be holding their meeting in Tuckahoe on Saturday, April 24th. They also state there will be an excursion train from Tuckahoe to Woodbine and back at 2:30 p.m.

They don't say what is to be used, but I would guess a RDC or RDC/F7A combo from the CMSL. Are the GP9 and CNJ GP7 still in Tuckahoe? Weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday.
 #14674  by chuchubob

The last I heard, PRR GP9 7000 was expected to be used with two URHS coaches, the Alex DeCroce, and a Budd Car.

Also, two trips were planned, the last I heard. One right after the West Jersey Chapter meeting (open to visitors) to Woodbine Junction and back, and a repeat trip, with photo stops and perhaps a runby.

A $10 ticket will cover either trip or both trips.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/665 ... 5450yTrcVr
 #14714  by JJMDiMunno

chuchubob wrote:The last I heard, PRR GP9 7000 was expected to be used with two URHS coaches, the Alex DeCroce, and a Budd Car.
Bob, do you have any idea if CMSL's going to run that equipment back to Rio Grande after they're finished with it for the day in Tuckahoe? I see no reason to keep it there after that...and he's looking to clear up the main after all these runs so some more ties can be replaced and the Woodbine Bridge work can begin...

Not sure if Tony kept the GP7 there in Tuckahoe or if he took it back to Rio Grande when they ran back south to pick up the URHS cars (if that's even happened yet, it might happen tomorrow...I have no info on when this equipment move took place or will take place).

Also look for a coal train move on the Beesley's possibly while we're down there this Saturday...there's a loaded coal train on Milmay siding as of 4:30PM Thursday as you've probably seen from SJRA...CSX 40 and CSX 54 as power. 80 loads. There's an NS train in the plant as of 3:50AM on 4/23/04 with NS 9482, NS (CR blue) 8329, and NS (CR blue) 8375...the 8329 will likely lead north whenever that happens. I'm not sure if I heard a northbound empty train tonight (Thurs night)...it could have been that, but it's not likely.

Take care.

#14718  by njtjo

From what I heard the RDC only will be used for the trips on Saturday. Wrong information about the other equipment. Jeff
 #14726  by chuchubob

JJMDiMunno wrote:
Bob, do you have any idea if CMSL's going to run that equipment back to Rio Grande after they're finished with it for the day in Tuckahoe?
Ask Tony at the meeting.

The equipment that I mentioned above was discussed by Tony and the West Jersey Chapter President three weeks ago. That's what was planned at the time. The equipment actually used, of course, will be determined by Tony, based on his operating circumstances.

Bob
 #14744  by OCtrainguy

The feasibility of a coal train is very tempting. It's a train I'd love to see. Please keep us updated, if you can. :D

#14784  by JJMDiMunno

njtjo wrote:From what I heard the RDC only will be used for the trips on Saturday. Wrong information about the other equipment. Jeff
I had heard the same list of equipment as Bob listed above when I talked with Tony last Saturday in Tuckahoe...have things changed since then I wonder?

I guess we'll all just see when we get there...

#14794  by njt4172

Guys,

Unfortunately I will not be able to make this historic trip as I am in Chicago. :( Please post pictures to the list and/or websites....Good luck and hope everything runs smoothly!

Steve

#14797  by CRRNJ878

I guess it we'll have to wait and see if Tony gives up any information about the plans on the rehab of woodbine south or any other plans. Keep us filled in guys! :wink:
 #14986  by chuchubob

After Jeff posted his info that a Budd RDC only would be used on today's trip, I heard the same info from a different source.

Friday night I heard (supposedly) more recent info that the consist would be 7000, Alex, M-407.

We'll find out this afternoon.

Bob
 #15116  by OCtrainguy

The weather was great today and I'm glad I made the trip down to Tuckahoe. The excursion train was consisted of PRR GP9 7000, the Alex DeCroce, and Budd Car M407. The train was sold out and they ran a second train to accomodate everyone before doing the "railfan" train with a photo runby and a photo stop. CNJ GP7 1523 was still there and was well lit by the afternoon sun. Hopefully, they will have the GP7 running on their trackage soon. This GP7 was used on the BR&W last year. I saw it in Ringoes last June.

A good job done by all invloved, and hopefully we will see another event soon.
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #15148  by chuchubob

It was a great day; perfect weather and a good railfan train (after the two down-and-back runs). The runby was awesome; people who videotaped have a keeper.
The photo stop on the bridge over county route 550 was a winner, too. Thanks to West Jersey Chapter president Rich Magee for requesting that location.

My photos are on SubwaySpot:

http://www.subwayspot.com/gallery/album02

#15168  by JJMDiMunno

And after you finish looking through Bob's excellent collection of photos, you get to read my book and a half about today's event:

Hey everyone,
A great day it was today in Tuckahoe...150 tickets sold (or something around that), I'd say actually 200 attendees (some didn't ride probably)...that was more people than I'd personally truly
expected to show up. But, this very special day combined with the
PERFECT weather made for the best conditions anyone could ask
for...and that brought the people out in drones.

In any case, here's some photos of my own from today's event (well I
guess it's technically yesterday now, I don't really consider it the
next day until the sun comes up):

Arriving at Tuckahoe a little early (yes, I arrived someplace early,
I'm surprised it didn't snow today just because of that), I found CNJ
1523 on the siding posed next to PRR 7000 and it's train on the main
at the station. There was a decent crowd of people there (you can't
see them here, but they were there), but more would arrive later on:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... erview.jpg

After the West Jersey chapter's monthly meeting (held at the
station), we took off on the first of what would become a total of 3
excursions to Woodbine. The quantity of people on hand outnumbered
the seating capacity of M407 and the Alex DeCroce cafe car.
Therefore, a second regular riders excursion was run immediatly
following the first, to give everyone on hand a chance to ride.
After those two runs were complete, CMSL extra-7000 south departed
Tuckahoe with the "railfan train", which consisted of the photo
stops. Below, CMSL extra-7000 south executes a photo runby about
half way between Tckahoe and Woodbine on the Cape May Branch:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... _Runby.jpg

Upon arrival at Woodbine Junction, all passengers were required to de-
train so that the equipment could be run over the Woodbine Viaduct
(track work not yet complete). A majority of the riders chose to
walk the 1/2 mile to the route 550 bridge to shoot the train
crossing. In perhaps what I just might consider my "photo of the
day", CMSL extra-7000 south with PRR 7000 leading creeps across the
bridge at walking speed, with CMSL president and general manager Tony
Macrie at the throttle:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/CMSL/ ... odbine.jpg

After that, the cars behind the 7000 were re-boarded by the crowd and
ran express back to Tuckahoe.

I'd like to take this time to publically thank everyone involved in
this great event...including (but surely not limited to) the West
Jersey Chapter NRHS, and of course the Cape May Seashore Lines as a
whole for making this whole day possible.

It was a pleasure to meet some of the people I've talked to online or
via this message board for so long, or people I've corresponded with
over the years in some way. Also, today was a great opportunity to
get the SJRA business card out a little more...hopefully we'll have
some new members joining us soon over here...

OK, finally I'm finished (all may breathe sighs of relief now). Have
a good night everyone.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

#15207  by CRRNJ878

guys..looks like it was a great day...did any of you hear of any rumors or ideas of what's to come on the CMSL in general...Start of freight service or rehab of woodbine south?...Thanks for all the great pics bob and mike...

#15871  by njt4172

Nice pictures guys!! Sorry I couldn't make it! Does anyone know the next time this segment of track will be opened to the public?? I feel left out since I'm stuck in Kentucky!

Steve