Railroad Forums 

• Eurostar to St Pancras: 2hr 3 min

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#441615  by bellstbarn

Several good articles have appeared today about the publicity run from Paris to St Pancras. Reuters.com has a lengthy article, and somewhere there is a Reuters video.
------
Question: What is the electrification from St Pancras to the tunnel? Does it match any other UK system?
------
How did the authorities get the route through England. Here in the U.S.A. all sorts of groups would block it.

#441650  by David Benton

oh , so theyve finished the link .
I think a fair bit of tunneling was required to miss areas that may have been of enviromental concern .

#441722  by bellstbarn

A Reuters video in German is currently featured on Das Bild:
http://www.bild.t-online.de/

However, the homepage of Das Bild changes often, so one may than have to hunt for it under news videos.
Joe
 #442766  by george matthews

bellstbarn wrote:Several good articles have appeared today about the publicity run from Paris to St Pancras. Reuters.com has a lengthy article, and somewhere there is a Reuters video.
------
Question: What is the electrification from St Pancras to the tunnel? Does it match any other UK system?
------
How did the authorities get the route through England. Here in the U.S.A. all sorts of groups would block it.
It took more than ten years to get it built. There were objections, mainly in Kent and the route was altered to meet some of them.

All you really need is the political will to build it. I don't think the US government system with its fragmented authority is capable of doing that. Thatcher didn't want it; the new Labour government did.

The electrification system is the modern European standard for
all new lines. The trains can use the same system from London to Paris and Brussels, and also in the north of England, if the trains ever run there (some unused trains were operating on the GNER route).

#445630  by David Benton

Thanks for the info . I read the tunnel power comes form France , as they have cheaper nuclear power than England .

#446549  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Thanks for the info . I read the tunnel power comes form France , as they have cheaper nuclear power than England .
Eurotunnel has a contract with a nuclear power station. It may be in France, or it may be at Dungeness.
High Speed One is a different company.