Railroad Forums 

• Ethanol Plant - Medina, NY

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#367383  by Challenger3985

Sorry about the pictures that I took aren't showing up. My server has been down for a few weeks, but I will have those and some NEW ones coming your way soon!

#374901  by Challenger3985

Old Images are up and running again. Next week if time permits I will be heading down to take some more pictures.

Any news, additions?

#385334  by Challenger3985

Finally... Some new pictures!

Images Are 640x480 Resolution:
Date Taken: 4-10-07

Notes: As you can see here, the holding tanks are finally near completion.

Notes: Rails are fully installed in this section, but not all of the siding.

Notes: This image is the West part of the wye entering the facility.
FYI: I looked on the rail they are installing and I was very shocked to find out that it was older then the main FRRR. The main rail was forged in Lackawanna 1946, 105 Gage rail. The new rail being added to the siding leading up to the plant is Illinois 1928, 110 Gage rail!! 1928? Jeesh...

Notes: East wye section, incomplete as you can see.

I hope you guys enjoy these pictures and feel free to add comments or any corrections as you will.
Thanks!

-Earl

#385552  by nessman

Challenger3985 wrote:FYI: I looked on the rail they are installing and I was very shocked to find out that it was older then the main FRRR. The main rail was forged in Lackawanna 1946, 105 Gage rail. The new rail being added to the siding leading up to the plant is Illinois 1928, 110 Gage rail!! 1928? Jeesh...
It's an industrial siding - 5 MPH (if that)... not so much the weight or the age of the rail, but the ties, ballast and substructure that matters most. I'm sure the rails are more than fine. The condition of the siding is probably going to be in much better condition than the mainline of some shortline RR's out there.

#386301  by med-train

Challenger, the pictures are great. In the caption to your third photo you call it the West leg of the Wye. I thought that that would be the East Leg. It is on the east side of the property and your were facing South West.

I am also wondering why the ballast is nearly up to the top of the rail.

#386349  by Challenger3985

Thanks Med for the comment.

Yes I believe you are correct about the east and west leg of the wye. I named it the way I did for on coming traffic:

East Bound Train: East entrance on the wye (which is the west leg).

Correct me if I am wrong, are they going to enter through the East Bound (west leg) of the wye or the other? I know there are roads on both sides of the main, but Bates road is closer so why would they have it entering the west leg, East bound entrance. Anyone know?

I am also curious why they are using so much ballast myself. I know this however, they are getting the ballast easily seeing how there is a gravel pit on 31A just a few miles East.

#386391  by seldom

Challenger3985,
So far no operating plans have been finalized. What looks like a common scense way of doing things may in fact be totally wrong. We will have to wait and see. :(

#386394  by seldom

The more ballast the better. Grade had to be raised at least 6 inches. Once the tamper gets in there most of the ballast will disappear. Sure would rather see rock than mud. :wink:

#386400  by Challenger3985

I agree, more ballast is better! Yup, we'll just have to wait and see at this point. By the way, how did you find out about that the grade needed to be raised 9 inch's?

#386446  by TB Diamond

Sub grade and drainage are just as important as ballast. Appears that the construction company has those items well covered.

#386626  by seldom

Tis a national secret. If I told you I would have to kill you. And its only 6 not 9 inches. :-D :-D
 #421055  by Challenger3985

Been some news locally on the Ethanol Plant. I would like to share it with you guys, if or not you haven't heard it yet. There are 2 related stories here. Both are from Rnews.
Enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ethanol Plant Opens Jobs for Many
by Seth Vorhees
Photo by R News Staff
Published May 31, 2007

Residents call it the best thing to hit Orleans County in years.

It's a new ethanol plant that's putting a lot of people to work. But
not everyone's happy.

Plant members of the UA Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 22 said the
majority of the work on the plant is being done by out-of-staters. One
count put the number of vehicles at the site with out-of-state plates
at more than 20.

"There's many workers out of work in a 100 mile radius collecting New
York state unemployment that could be working on this site, and these
people are working on this site and sending their money back home and
they're being subsidized by New York state," David Cronkhite, of
Plumbers Local No. 22 said.

Western New York Energy responded in a statement: "...the majority of
the 180 workers on site at the plant are local workers. However, the
specialized nature of ethanol plant construction does sometimes
require our builder to use workers from outside the area."

Western New York Energy hired Fagen, Inc. to build the plant. The
Minnesota based company has built nearly half the ethanol plants in
the U.S. Some of its employees have come under fire recently; three
were arrested in March for operating a small meth lab in Medina. Two
others registered with the local police department as sex offenders.

The $90 million plant is being built in Shelby, Orleans County. About
a third of the money will come from state and federal grants.

kmv

Original Source:
http://rnews.com/story_2004.cfm?story_t ... 8&id=49662
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orleans Ethanol Plant Awarded Grant
by Sarah Freligh
Photo by Helen Moore
Published Jul 09, 2007

The ethanol plant now being built in Orleans County is a step closer to being finished.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture awarded the project a grant of almost $200,000. The money will allow the town of Shelby to improve a stretch of road near the new plant. Plans include widening the road to ease any potential traffic congestion around the plant.

The plant is projected to produce 55 million gallons of fuel-grade ethanol. The ethanol will be sold to oil companies; they will then sell it across the country as an ethanol-fuel blend.

There is still no word yet on when ethanol-based fuel will be widely available in the Rochester area.

“There's no one cure all for our energy costs; we need to continue exploring for domestic oil and gas, we need to look at conservation increasing standards to get more miles per gallons of our vehicles,” Congressman Tom Reynolds, (R, NY) said.

The Albany area has the first private gas station selling ethanol- based fuel. Reynolds said lab tests are now underway on ethanol- blend fuels to help make them more available.

kmv/ll

Original Source:
http://rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=5096 ... ategory=10

#460319  by ut-1

Any developments since the last post??

#460396  by med-train

Here are some pics taken on 10/22. Construction is nearing completion.
The yard tracks have been tamped and appear ready for service.
The "Y' appears to be electrically operated and solar powered.
The west-end switch is located at mile marker R-40.

The local paper The Journal Register reported today that the first truck loads of corn arrived yesterday, Thur. 10/25, for equipment testing.
Here is the Medina Journal-Register slideshow on the Western NY Energy plant. I didn't see the story posted yet.
http://www.journal-register.com/multime ... d=topstory

#467911  by med-train

Ethanol tank cars have arrived. Wed. 11/14 was a rainy day but I drove by the ethanol plant and saw GVT #1802 dropping off new tank cars. The total is now 70 cars.

2nd pic shows #1802 spotting the last 6 cars on the outside track.
3rd pic is an end view with #1802 pulling away.