Railroad Forums 

• Ethan Allen Discussion, including Expansion (Burlington)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1602170  by Train60

I just tried to book a ticket from Burlington Union Station to NYP for July 29th (Day 1) and it worked fine.

The Amtrak website shows that Burlington to Ferrisburgh-Vergennes (the 1st stop) is 90% full so the time to book is now if you need to be on the first train.
 #1602739  by Train60

Just tried to book a ticket from Burlington to NY Penn on Fri 7/29.

What the heck is this? (the text in the top left corner)

My guess is that the train is sold out somewhere along the route. If that's the case why don't they just say, "This train is sold out."
 #1602755  by nomis

It must be something of a glitch as the next station, VRN, Ferrisburgh works for Fri 7/29 and shows 60% occupancy. Future dates work from the BTN station though.
 #1602806  by Train60

Allouette wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:06 am More likely it's Vermont officials getting their photo ops on the first run by riding to Vergennes.
Maybe so, but the real issue here is why display a confusing message like this. I tried the Amtrak App just now and the message is clear for this trip on the 29th: "SOLD OUT"
 #1603908  by NHV 669

An article by SevenDaysVt writer Alison Novak who rode the train on Opening Day from Burlington:

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/our-r ... d=36159623
I arrived at Burlington's Union Station last Friday to catch a 10:10 a.m. train — and found a giant early morning party. I was about to climb on the inaugural Ethan Allen Express train from Burlington to New York City. It would be the first time a train carried people between the two cities since 1953, when a Rutland Railroad workers' strike ended the line's passenger service.

Scores of people — some in suits and ties, others in tank tops and shorts — milled around the 106-year-old station's ground floor, sipping coffee, noshing on cinnamon rolls from Great Harvest Bread and spilling onto the train platform. A man in a tie-dye T-shirt hippie-danced to a live funk duo while blazer-clad politicians exchanged handshakes and pleasantries.
 #1609786  by Greg Moore

So apparently the Ethan Allen Extension has exceeded expectations.

Expectations were about 2000-2500 more riders a month.

Quick pull quote:
Ridership in July 2022 was 11,377, exceeding ridership of 5,875 in July 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) by more than 5,000. The August 2022 ridership was 9,112, exceeding the August 2019 ridership of 6,036 by more than 3,000."
Apparently it's siphoned some riders from The Vermonter, but still more than made up for it.
 #1609803  by Arlington

The high-gas-price environment has been very favorable to extensions in Virginia and Vermont
 #1609865  by cle

Greg Moore wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:43 pm So apparently the Ethan Allen Extension has exceeded expectations.

Expectations were about 2000-2500 more riders a month.

Quick pull quote:
Ridership in July 2022 was 11,377, exceeding ridership of 5,875 in July 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) by more than 5,000. The August 2022 ridership was 9,112, exceeding the August 2019 ridership of 6,036 by more than 3,000."
Apparently it's siphoned some riders from The Vermonter, but still more than made up for it.
I'd be curious to see it combined - vs total Vermonter historical data. I.e. net growth and new travel. Especially after the ski season.

If both are thriving, they should look at an additional frequency to Burlington - as an extension of an Empire. Saratoga I think can comfortably handle 4-5 p/d too. Such a perfect marker for rail travel too, both locals and the attractions that bring folks.

And eventually do the Essex extension/works, and have a more holistic Vermont plan to build from. And consider Boston too.
 #1609877  by charlesriverbranch

cle wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:49 am And eventually do the Essex extension/works, and have a more holistic Vermont plan to build from. And consider Boston too.
'Can't get theyah from heehayah.

Of the three reasonable routes between Vermont and Boston, all are either bike trails today or have returned to nature. You'd have to go down to Greenfield or Springfield and turn left, and that's absurd. No Bostonian seeking to drive to Burlington would go via Springfield.
 #1610031  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:09 am If enough rich just place second car or maybe just the one at a station and then drive to destination. EX. Good way to get to Killington.
Back in the day Amtrak and Killington had a ski season special, buses would pick you up in Rutland on Friday and bring you back on Sunday. Friday's train was packed right out of PENN and Sunday was the same out of Rutland. Held a regular back in my cafe car attendant days on Sunday and caught it a few times extra on Friday. Lots of money spent and to be made on Friday night especially if Killington put the snow bunnies on to prime the the pumps so to speak. "Would you be interested in talking about our chalets"