Railroad Forums 

• Ethan Allen Discussion, including Expansion (Burlington)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1594323  by Gilbert B Norman

Must admit that even back in the days when rail was "the only way to get about", it is surprising the one municipality within Vermont of any consequence was so "underserved". I think it commendable that the State is so willing to step forward and fund passenger trains to the extent they do, and the often noted but superseded Section 403(b) of RPSA70 was enacted. This is the provision directing Amtrak to operate services for which Local level funding is in place.

While not certain, I believe Vermont funds more passenger train miles PER CAPITA than does any other taxing jurisdiction.

Even if I'm originally from New England if this life (if Greenwich CT qualifies), my Vermont experiences are quite limited. I drove through the state during '77 to Stowe and rode the Montrealer during '56, but "that's about it".

The only time I've ever laid eyes upon Lake Champlain was during '65, on a crystal clear day, from the window of a Vickers Vanguard CYUL-KJFK at FL200 or less. If there was ever a commercial aircraft, along with the smaller Viscount, for "flightseeing", this was it.
 #1594348  by Allouette

Essex Jct. is only 5 miles from Burlington. Green Mountain Transit allows 35 minutes from downtown Burlington to the Amtrak station for the #2 bus, which operates on reasonably close headways, though the last bus leases Essex Jct. before the train gets there on Sundays.. Fares are suspended until June 30, after that $1.50. Burlington, being a college town, has taxi and other ride services readily available.
 #1600222  by west point

Patch Hog wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:35 am It’s a week since the schedule was announced and Amtrak.com still doesn’t show Ethan Allen to Burlington for a late august date.
That should have been available immediately.
They don't even have the times for Middlebury or Vergennes.
Amtrak's competence has tanked.
Would a route manager for the up state NY trains find out about this and put IT on notice that it is dropping the ball?
 #1600284  by PHLSpecial

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:42 pm Question?

Are Amtrak IT functions "in house" or "contracted out"?
I look at Amtrak's website for software engineering positions and it seems like they do need some in house software engineers for train controls, signaling, ptc, etc... I don't qualify yet :(

I'm not sure about the booking website, that seems like it's contracted out.
 #1600290  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:06 pm
Patch Hog wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:35 am It’s a week since the schedule was announced and Amtrak.com still doesn’t show Ethan Allen to Burlington for a late august date.
That should have been available immediately.
They don't even have the times for Middlebury or Vergennes.
Amtrak's competence has tanked.
Would a route manager for the up state NY trains find out about this and put IT on notice that it is dropping the ball?
If I happen to run into the MTO at work today I will ask him. Can't guarantee an answer. I know for a fact crews are qualified and jobs will be up for bid shortly. I work there and haven't seen or heard a rumor about the schedule for the train.
 #1600357  by Railjunkie

I did run into the MTO (Manager Train Operations) while at work yesterday and he has no idea on the times for the train so I guess its a surprise to everyone including those of us who will run the service.