Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1621257  by freightguy

They(FDNY) also wanted nothing to with 5000 people being in the basement of GCT during rush hour if a terrorist attack occurred. We all know who controls the MTA board though. Follow the money. The 1500's would be fine rebuilt. Metro-North has 8 locomotives doing rescues on a daily basis from 1960's.
 #1621730  by workextra

Can someone provide data from FDNY showing that prohibition or concerns of a proven battery locomotive?

Has there been any issues?
 #1628409  by workextra

There is.
But it won’t be broadcasted here first. Be patient. The MTA is a government entity. Nothing happens fast.
 #1629866  by Kelly&Kelly

FDNY wants no part of an electric battery locomotive. They view it as a fire and explosion source. We'll watch who wins this debate or if it loses momentum and we live with the present solution...
 #1629893  by ConstanceR46

Considering the batteries attached to the newest MTA work train contract and the new chargers i doubt that's true
 #1638850  by Jeff Smith

LIRR adding battery-powered 'rescue engine' for Grand Central Madison tunnels

“This engine will have the ability to go in and rescue a disabled train that we can’t get out of the tunnel, and not have to operate on third-rail power nor on diesel power. So it’s really a great technology,” Free said. “Now, I hope we’ll never have to use this engine.”

In January 2023 — days before the opening of Grand Central Madison — Newsday reported that the LIRR did not have the equipment it would need to tow a disabled train out of the newly-bored tunnels in the event of a power outage.
 #1638902  by Head-end View

So they're saying an all battery powered locomotive is going to pull a 12-car MU train from Grand Central, up the steep tunnel grades into Harold ? Hard to believe but with today's battery powered equipment I guess it might be possible.