Railroad Forums 

• Erie's New City Station - free to a good home

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#903111  by Tommy Meehan

There's also mention in the Norman Baker book that in addition to the New City stationhouse surviving and being used as a storage facility, the foundation of the old turntable survived as well.

The book was written in the 1970s but does anyone know if the old turntable pit may still exist? It would be south and a bit east of the station according to Mr. Baker's descriptions of the small New City yard.

The turntable was apparently built there sometime in the 1880s. A small enginehouse was located there as well. I've seen it referred to both as a roundhouse and as an enginehouse. At one point in the early 1900s they apparently had two locomotives lay up at New City overnight. One engine was power for the shuttle train on the branch, the other was power for the through train that ran to/from the Erie terminal in Jersey City on weekdays.
 #1045407  by Tommy Meehan

The recent demolition of the old New York Central Putnam Division passenger station in Millwood NY made me think of this thread.

I Googled for news but found nothing.

Any new developments? Is the station still standing?
 #1048637  by JBlaisdell

The station is entirely of wood frame construction, with a slate roof. It was constructed circa 1875 as the original and final station on the “New City Branch" of the PascackValley Railroad, a branch of the Erie Railroad which ran from Hoboken, N.J. to Suffern, N.Y. The Pascack Valley Railroad was extended from Park Ridge, N.J. to Montvale, Pearl River, Nanuet and Spring Valley in 1872, followed the next year with an extension through Monsey, Tallman and Airmont to Suffern, where it connected with the Erie Mainline.
I'm confused. Wasn't the original Erie from Suffern to Piermont via Monsey, Tallman and Spring Valley? Wasn't it not until later that the line of today to Hoboken was built? This article seems to have things out of order.
 #1048647  by Tommy Meehan

That was apparently written by someone with the Town of Clarkstown trying to find a 'home' for the old New City station. Yes very inaccurate to say the least, that's what happens when you try and write history without doing any research. But they were trying to save the station so their heart was definitely in the right place anyway. :)

Just as you say, Erie was originally built from Piermont via Nanuet and Spring Valley to Suffern and beyond. The Erie didn't reach Hoboken until 1956 when it gained track rights from Delaware, Lackawanna & Western.

The railroad referenced that built from Park Ridge north was not named Pascack Valley. It was the Hackensack & New York Extension RR, reorganized in the mid-1870s (and merged with the Hackensack & New York) as the New Jersey & New York. It never built track west of Spring Valley. It built north from Spring Valley through Theills to Haverstraw.

The New City Branch was built in the mid-1870s as the New City & Nanuet. At first NJ&NY operated the branch and then leased it about 1877.
 #1219481  by Tommy Meehan

Sad news. Of course it wasn't built as a railroad station, in 1875 the old Nanuet & New City established a stop on Bardonia Road and rented space in the building as a ticket office. The other tenants were a general store and the Bardonia post office.

How about the old New City station. Does anyone know if that's still standing?
 #1274227  by Tommy Meehan

I was contacted off-list by someone who read this thread. The gentleman (whom I don't think wishes to be identified) grew up in the New city area and was interested in the station. Recently someone visited the site and discovered the building is still standing. But just barely. Apparently it is now past saving. Too bad!
 #1304717  by Roadgeek Adam

Tommy Meehan wrote:I was contacted off-list by someone who read this thread. The gentleman (whom I don't think wishes to be identified) grew up in the New city area and was interested in the station. Recently someone visited the site and discovered the building is still standing. But just barely. Apparently it is now past saving. Too bad!
Been over 5 months since the last post, but here it is in really sad state. The roof I am amazed has not collapsed, but it is falling apart all over the building and from the back, it kind of reminds me of Owego. However, the station is now used for lumber storage.

As for Bardonia station site: