Railroad Forums 

• Erie Railroad Jersey City Terminal Travellator

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#185385  by vector_one75

Back when I was a kid in New York, I rode out to Pavonia Ave on PATH to see what was still there at the JC Terminal of Erie. The place was desolately deserted, but there was an underground passageway from PATH towards the erstwhile Erie terminal. Lo andf behold, I was being whisked towards the terminal on a yet operating travellator (mechanized sidewalk conveyor belt). Such things exist at some airport terminals with long wings for air gates gates. Obviously it was there to help the Erie commuter patrons not have to walk so far from the PATH station, but by that time the Erie trains were already gone to Hoboken. How long after abandonment of the Erie Jersey City Terminal did the travellator keep operating with no passengers and nowhere to go? Any technical or promo material available for perusal about this interesting form of transportation that anyone might have or know about?

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia