Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#10871  by nick11a

Today on my trek on the crowded Rutgers University EE bus to Browers Commons for a bite to eat and then to my evening remedial math course on College Ave, I caught an interesting sight. I saw a Geep Diesel running through NB at about 45 MPH hauling an ALP44, a full set of EMUs (looked like about 8 cars) and another 44 on the rear. It was quite a sight. I guess this was an equipment move. Why would they use the diesel to haul the train instead of the ALPs? Is there any scedule for these moves? Also, could the ALP directly behind the diesel been helping out too? I didn't get a chance to see if its pantograph was up. This trainset would have made a great picture.

#10882  by Jtgshu

It does sound like an equipment move to the MMC, maybe the coaches and motors were overdue or an inspection of some sort or another, that is why they weren't running.

Or there is a slim possibility there was a problem or some sort or another at Morrisville Yard and the equipment OOS was being sent to the MMC for inspection.

I don't think our diesels can MU with an ALP......if it was helping out, it would really have been a doubleheaded move!!! hahaha

#10892  by nick11a

I wonder if the PL42ACs will be able to MU with other diesels as well as eletric locos.

#10895  by DutchRailnut

they have to if they can mu with the 27 point control system of the cabcars, that means they can mu with alp or other diesels too.

#10908  by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:they have to if they can mu with the 27 point control system of the cabcars, that means they can mu with alp or other diesels too.
I figured they could MU with other diesels and the ALPs, but wasn't sure. Thanks DR.

#10990  by Engineer

I saw a similiar consist about 3 weeks ago on the NEC after a WB local with an ALP44 and 8 cars went into penalty and couldn't recover west of County. The Hudson Protect power had to come all the way down and couple up and drag it back up there.....

#11099  by hsr_fan

How do they couple an MU set to a locomotive with knuckle couplers?

#11102  by transit383

hsr_fan wrote:How do they couple an MU set to a locomotive with knuckle couplers?
A "compromise coupler" must be used. For a photo of this coupler check out this photo:

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/NJT137 ... 2DGI23.jpg

#11137  by nick11a

Oh, and I guess the only thing that would brake the train would be the Geep (the lead loco) with its locomotive brake right? I also guess that the braking must be done slowly.

#11214  by TR-00

Braking is not a problem, we simply connect the brakepipe from the motor to the brakepipe of the MU's. There is a hose available to use, and it is used.

The MU's are heavier than they look, and bringing a string of 12 to a stop with just the motor's independent brake (even at yard speeds) is always an adventure.

#11217  by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:Braking is not a problem, we simply connect the brakepipe from the motor to the brakepipe of the MU's. There is a hose available to use, and it is used.
Really, that is cool. I didn't think that the braking systems were compatible. Learn something new each day. Thanks TR. So the diesel controls the air brakes on the MUs (no dynamic.)

And am I correct in saying that the MUs are not capable of accepting HEP from the diesel to power the doors, lights etc?

#11240  by TR-00

Nope...no hep is available, nor blended brake.

#11634  by Sirsonic

If you look in the picture of the compromise, you can see the MU brake pipe tow hose hanging down in front of the MU. The hose is quite long, and even when coupled to a very short hose on the engine (NJT likes short hoses that are hard to couple) it still often drags on the ground and needs to be tied up so it does not.

The doors and emergency lights will still work, until the battery voltage falls bellow a certain level. After that, you must either hit the reset, which will give you about 15 minutes, or put in a control plug, which will allow battery power until the batteries die.