• Enola Yard Train excursions with E-8's on April 30th, 2005

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by dwil89

Mark your Calendars. Just got confirmation from Herb Kruger, of the East Pennsboro Historical Society in Enola, Pennsylvania, which is coordinating this event: On Saturday, April 30th, 2005, there will be Train Excursions which will run from the Harrisburg Train station , across Rockville Bridge, through Enola Yard to Lemoyne, and then back to Harrisburg. Trains will run at 9AM, 12Noon, and 3PM. Power is scheduled to be Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal Pennsy liveried E-8's 5711 and 5809. Ticket prices are $35 for regular seating, and $70 for Deluxe Coach. For more information and ticket ordering information, contact Herb Kruger at the East Pennsboro Historical Society at (717) 732-5801 A nice opportunity to ride behind the E-8's and then photograph the other runs from trackside! I plan to do both! Dave Williams http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsaltoonajohnstown

by joshuahouse

For us outside the area, just how long is this trip mileage wise? What will be used for cars?

by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
From Harrisburg station to Rockville it`s about 6 miles add on another 6miles you have 12 miles all together.

I had another place to go that date , but I think i`ll go to this insted. I know a great place to stat to get a good view of Enola yard.

On Rt.15 there is a uses car dealership and a great view of the yard.

Len

Journey Back In Time Video Productions
Http://hometown.aol.com/_ht_a/conrail6370/

by dwil89

[quote="Schuylkill Valley"]Hi all,
From Harrisburg station to Rockville it`s about 6 miles add on another 6miles you have 12 miles all together.

I had another place to go that date , but I think i`ll go to this insted. I know a great place to stat to get a good view of Enola yard.

On Rt.15 there is a uses car dealership and a great view of the yard.

Len

Yup..you are talking about Spankeys Carlot. I will be staying at my usual lodging across the road from Spankeys at the Quality Inn....booked an upstairs front room.....I watch the cars shove over the Crest of the hump from the hotel window...front rooms in low 200's are best....was just in last week....Check is already in the mail for the Excursion. Dave Williams http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsaltoonajohnstown

by Schuylkill Valley

Hi Dave,
Do you know the name of the boat and fishing place next to Rockville bridge in Marysville? Another great place to watch the trains cross the bridge.

Len
  by dwil89

Yeah, Bairs Tackleshop. From what I've heard, Bair sold the Tackle and boat part of his business recently. I drove past there last week, and the sign said Bairs Bridgeview, or something to that effect.He was flooded into his first floor last Summer when the Susquehanna overflowed during all the Tropical Storm activity. In the past, I have shot some pics from Bair's lot. It was always common practice with a friend of mine to check in with Mr, Bair to say hello, and to ask permission to park there to take pictures. I've only shot from there a few times, don't want to impose on him. I usually park in the gravel lot by the Boatlaunch right on the North side of the Bridge to shoot action on Rockville Bridge. The light is definitely better on the South side, by Bairs...Dave Williams http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsaltoonajohnstown

by OCtrainguy

I sent in my payment for the train ride on Friday. I know they have three excursions slated for 9:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. I have read that the trip is roughly 12 miles round trip. Does anyone know roughly how long the trip will be? I am making the drive from New Jersey and am hoping to be able to see the first excursion returning over the bridge to Harrisburg.

I'm looking forward to the trip and visiting some of the photo areas mentioned here and other boards.
  by dwil89

I would think that the run would last an hour at the most...there is plenty of padding in the schedule...3 hrs between departures....the run is obviously not going to be a high speed run...as it will be going through Enola, etc...then reversing at Lemoyne, heading back through Enola and back to Harrisburg. Don't know how they will work the reversing, if there is a way to run the power around the train at Lemoyne, or if it will be push-pull. A friend of mine thought there was a wye at Lemoyne, but also thought that part of the wye was torn out...At any rate, will give opportunity to shoot each train twice as it will reverse and run back where it came from....Dave Williams http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsaltoonajohnstown