Railroad Forums 

• Enola shop critter question

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#78297  by va3ori

Just wondering if someone can help me with some background on this unit. It is a box on a single B truck with standard couplers. On top of the box is a pair of cylinders and some other paraphernalia (strobe?, etc.). On the side of the unit is the information "220 VOLTS AC WHILE CHARGING" which leads me to believe it is a giant battery on flanged wheels. It is lettered CONRAIL, is in CR blue and the photo I've seen is dated 2002 with a Norfolk Southern locomotive plainly in view in the background.

The assumption I am making is that it is a battery powered shop lug. If someone would please correct my assumption if needs be and give me some history of this critter, I'd really appreciate the effort!

cheers,
Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW

#81136  by SRS125

I have seen photos of this same critter in my judgement it looks like it is an electric battery powered critter.

#81150  by va3ori

Thanks for the note. On the Pennsylvania Railroad forum, it has been pretty well established that this is the type of vehicle I thought it was and about all that's been said about it is that it is a battery-powered critter that was seen as early as 1986! Other than that, no other light has been shed upon either its construction or its history. What has been shown, however, is that this type of vehicle was not unique. Such a critter was known to have been at Niles, MI possibly as early as 1940. As well, two other critters on different roads are known to exist. There are links to some photos on the Pennsy forum under the same heading as this one.

cheers,
Ori
va30ri - va3xw

#97510  by ANDY117

Metro North called these "mules".

#131608  by SRS125

looks like an old Locomotive truck that had a large Battrie installed on it to power the generators on the wheels to help it more. My guess is that its a home built critter.
For me it would make for an intresteing modeling project. I'll have to try makeing one even if it dose not work it would still be a neat little eye catcher siting out side of a car or loco shop.

#131907  by ANDY117

Tell me what you use, as i was making one in MN colors! but i could be swayed either way, or just make a few of em, just for the heck of it. Depends on the difficulty. PM me with the directions, please!