Railroad Forums 

• Engineers forgetting to turn on headlights... common?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#153456  by Otto Vondrak

Your good intentions may end up costing someone their job.

Don't worry about trying to "help out" the engineer, and for goodness sake, don't call the railroad and tell them that train XYZ-12 just ran through your town with no headlight! The poster is a cute idea, but sounds wholly goofy in practice. Just let it be... mutter under your breath if he ruins your photo (can't tell you how many shots I've waited for only to get a lead engine with no headlight)...

-otto-

#153477  by blippo

I would appreciate it if someone that was taking photo's and noticed the headlight was off, would give me a gesture they were off. Dont get a posterboard saying "Your Headlights Are Off!" and show us. Make some hand jesture.

#153479  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Well said UPRR Engineer! Let me know where I can see some twin beams!!!

Thanks

Nashville Newbie
Last edited by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#153480  by steemtrayn

Point to the headlight with one hand while tapping the top of your head with the other. He'll get the message.

#153483  by railroadcarmover

I have a better idea. Make up a sign to ask whether or not the crew, remembered to flush the toilet.

LOL

#153485  by Aji-tater

We're making this into a major problem. Relax! Point to your eyes and if the engineer takes the clue he'll thank you even if you don't know it. If he flips you off, chances are he'll turn it on anyway a mile down the line. Or not. Like Otto says don't call the railroad or go chasing after them. Sometimes headlights malfunction and those rules are in the book. Sometimes you forget to turn it on after a meet or some other occasion to turn it off. Not very often but engineers are human and nobody is perfect. Give them a sign and forget about it.

#153543  by n01jd1

I agree with Otto. It is better to do nothing except maybe take the picture. Most of us are not railroaders and it is not our place to inform the train crew of such things. Leave them to do their jobs as it is diffucult enough without armchair railroaders being backseat engineers/conductors. Besides did you ever think that the engineer might have a hatred of foamers and that is the reason for the headlight being off in the first place?? Just something you can ponder when you see the headlight off.

#153562  by Guest

My engineer hates railfans. He turns the light off on purpose.

-r

In the land of the witless, the half-wit is the king.

#153591  by b&m 1566

I noticed a Guilford crew the other night in Lowell, MA walking around the lead engine (one of them) and when he was in front of the train all lights went on an off a few times. About 10 minutes after that the lights were on and they were on the move. Is it common for the crew to walk around the engine quickly before moving? He may have just been walking because they sat in the same spot for about 3 hours (talk about boring, they had enough time for one of them to run to Dunkin Donuts). I will say that he did make a point to check the lights though.

#153596  by blippo

When I'm stopped for a long period of time, I will walk around and check the motors. Not all crews do this.

#153635  by Nelson Bay

UPRR Engineer wrote:

"If you really want to help, go round up some crazy college chicks to show us there headlights."

Great idea UPRR!!!!!

#153644  by UPRR engineer

b&m 1566 wrote:I noticed a Guilford crew the other night in Lowell, MA walking around the lead engine ......
Theres rules about how fast you can pull across public crossings if your headlights and or ditch lights fail, after the ice and water gets thrown aboard alot of guys will step out the front and check to see if any headlights need replaced. Locomotives are required an inspection ever calendar day there in use, and the headlights/ditch lights must also be checked at that time during the inspection.

Hey jg? UP hogs are now required to leave the headlights on bright and the ditch lights on also during the daylight hours. Same hold true where you work?

#157894  by emd_SD_60

razor wrote:My engineer hates railfans. He turns the light off on purpose.
Now what kind of engineer would go as far as to violate rules because of his disdain for railfans?

#158349  by Guest

emd_SD_60 wrote:
razor wrote:My engineer hates railfans. He turns the light off on purpose.
Now what kind of engineer would go as far as to violate rules because of his disdain for railfans?
He's nuts. The one thing he does that really pisses me off is he hangs his keys on the alerter spring so he can sleep. He just assumes that I'll stay awake and let him know if something happens.

-r

#158429  by emd_SD_60

Hmmm, that figures. :wink: