Railroad Forums 

• Engineer on the right?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#490602  by concordgirl

Can anyone tell me why the engineer traditionally sat on the right, while the fireman’s position was on the left? Could the engineer see certain signals or something better from the right?

Thanks ;-)
 #490606  by amtrakhogger

AFAIK, most railroads in the U.S. have right handed running (where multiple tracks are used) and most RR's have signals to the right of the track thus one reason to necessitate having right handed controls.

Some RR's do have locos with left side cab controls (such as Norfolk Southern) but technically those units are considered "right handed" since
NS has or had a preference for running long hood forward for safety reasons.
Last edited by amtrakhogger on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#490614  by concordgirl

Cool, thank you! Do you know if historically this has always been the case (i.e., with trains in the 1800s)?

I’m guessing it’s the same in the control car (guy sitting on the right).

Are railroads in the UK right-oriented too?

#490635  by route_rock

Hmm good question. I think UK is on the right as well but not sure.I do know Chinese steam is left handed. The QJ's we had run by IAIS were both lefties(really weird sitting there looking down the firemans side with the throttle right there lol)

Been on an SD 60 from NS with the left side controls,talk about weird!

#490649  by conrail_engineer

It's a good question. Early automobiles; and before that, wagons, had the driver seated on the right side as they ran down the right side of the road.

It was more important to pay attention to the shoulder than it was to watch the passing move...and there were no yellow traffic lines in those days.

The railroad, like the automobile, evolved out of the horse-and-Conestoga era. The operator (engineer) sat on the right. But since railroad equipment is fixed to the rails and doesn't need to be guided past opposing traffic...unlike with autos, engineers remained on the right.

UNVERIFIED STORY: The old Chicago North Western Railway was originally engineered by a British firm and as such, had traffic passing to the right, instead of to the left - like British highways. The engineer's throttle/brake/seatbox was on the LEFT side, opposite what every other American railroad did...I understand this remained the case right up until the Diesel Era and standardization.

#490713  by concordgirl

Hey, thanks, guys!

Is it hard to learn to operate a loco with controls on the left side, or do you get comfortable with it pretty fast? Just curious :-)

#490851  by Otto Vondrak

Well also remember- you're sitting on the right while going "forward." If you're on a switcher or some engine where you are changing direction often (like a switcher), 50% of the time you'll be sitting on the left hand side when you're going "backward."

-otto-

#490854  by concordgirl

lol So engineers are used to that already! That is cool, I did not realize. Makes sense tho, thanks :)

#491105  by CSX Conductor

The controls are no different in either direction. desk-top control stands are uncomfortable in reverse moves after a while. :wink:

#491183  by GN 599

CSX Conductor wrote:The controls are no different in either direction. desk-top control stands are uncomfortable in reverse moves after a while. :wink:
Desktop control stands are uncomfortable in any direction. :P

#491302  by Noel Weaver

Chicago North Western in their multiple track territory operated with left
hand running but their locomotives, both steam and diesel, still had the
engineer on the right side of the engine.
I recall a good number of years ago when the subway was opened in
Toronto the cars were built in England and they had the operating cab on
the left in every car. Later cars were built in Canada and these cars had
the operating cab on the right.
Many railroads in Europe and elsewhere had and may still have the
engineer/driver on the left rather than the right. I know the steam
engines that were built in China ordinarily had the controls on the left side
of the cab, the ones that were exported to the US were especially built
for export and these few engines had the controls on the right side of the
cab.
During my career I ran all kinds of electric and diesel electric equipment
and it did not really matter too much just what kind of controls the engine
or MU car had, I seemed to be able to adapt to it.
The cabs that I liked the least were the M series cars on Metro-North with
their "broom closet" cabs. At least the newest cars are apparently an
improvement.
Noel Weaver
 #491391  by amtrakhogger

Septa Silverliner 3's have left side controls but they were not meant for
lefthanded running. FWIK, they concept was to allow a head end stop
at station for passenger boarding the train "bus" style. In reality, some wag probably had the idea of a one man operation with the engineer taking tickets.

#491630  by BR&P

Noel, I don't doubt that most C&NW steamers were traditional. However I seem to recall reading about some of their engines - or maybe Burlington's?? - with the engineer on the left - I think it was in one of the old RAILROAD magazines from the 40's, possibly the recollections of some old timer from 1900 or so. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

#491645  by TB Diamond

Some of the BN SD9 locomotives had dual controls so that the engineer would be on the right hand side operating with either the short or long hood leading. Cabs so equipped were not the most comfortable, however and tended to be cramped as to space.

#491682  by Noel Weaver

TB Diamond wrote:Some of the BN SD9 locomotives had dual controls so that the engineer would be on the right hand side operating with either the short or long hood leading. Cabs so equipped were not the most comfortable, however and tended to be cramped as to space.
Any engine that had or has dual controls is cramped. The worst ones had
or maybe still have a huge control stand that takes up the entire center of
the cab with controls on both sides. The Reading had some engines like
this and I think the PRSL also might have had some too.
Noel Weaver