Railroad Forums 

• Engine repair 44 tonner

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1096100  by jjsatorm

The RR I'm with has a GE 44 tonner. The rear engine is stuck and won't rotate. Unit has been O/S for at least 10 years. We believe it is due to corrosion in the cylinders. Crank appears to be good. Can the cylinders be unstuck individually and the liners honed, or do are we looking at total liner replacement? This is a perpetually broke organization, so anything to reuse the existing parts would be better.

Also, I'm looking for repair & maintenace manuals for the 44 tonner, and the D17000 engines.
 #1096927  by RickRackstop

If the liners are rusted even after only 10 years it was probably caused by water getting into the cylinder. This could be caused by a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head or possibly rain water from the exhaust pipe getting into the cylinder through an open valve. You should first try removing the injector nozzles and squirting in some penetrating oil. This usually works on old car engines but I think you'll have to pull the heads to take a look. If its a bad head gasket you might want to send the head(s) to a machine shop top make sure the surface is flat. I worked on a small raw water cooled diesel that had a warped head that caused the head gasket to fail and let sea water into the cylinder. Even so after the head was re-machined and the cylinder oiled up it spun around and we reinstalled the head and everything worked fine.