Railroad Forums 

• Engine Moves on the NEC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#39811  by jspsh

Anyone know when Amtrak or NJT make engine moves?
I've seen a couple lately during evenings and its pretty rare.

Is there a schedule or is it sporadic?
 #39813  by nick11a

jspsh wrote:Anyone know when Amtrak or NJT make engine moves?
I've seen a couple lately during evenings and its pretty rare.

Is there a schedule or is it sporadic?
There is no schedule I know of. It seems to be done on an as a need basis. I myself enjoy watching them when I catch them. I've only seen a few so far. Sometimes it is just an ALP, or an ALP and an arrow or two, a diesel plus an ALP and a bunch of arrows, etc....

#39852  by jspsh

nick11a,

you've just seen NJT engine moves? all the engine moves i saw were amtrak diesels on the NEC

#39855  by nick11a

jspsh wrote:nick11a,

you've just seen NJT engine moves? all the engine moves i saw were amtrak diesels on the NEC
Thought you meant NJT. I've seen Amtrak moves twice. Once with two passenger P42 diesels and once with two work diesels (7xx series.) I've also once saw an Amtrak P42 diesel MUed with an AEM7 operating in revenue service on the NEC. The AEM-7 was leading. I do not however know whether Amtrak moves are scheduled or not.

#39863  by TAMR213

I've seen a few engine moves. I've seen Amtrak P42's being used in work service being moved, and the orange Amtrak Geeps. I've also seen one time an E60 pulling 2 AEM-7's and a P42. I found that odd. There are of course also the ocastional NJT engine and equipment moves down to the ACL. Speaking of NJT desiels on the NEC, whatever happened to the "Desiel Express" on the NEC that NJT used to run a few years ago? Most (if not all) engine moves on all railroads are pretty much on an as needed basis.

#39874  by nick11a

TAMR213 wrote:I've seen a few engine moves. I've seen Amtrak P42's being used in work service being moved, and the orange Amtrak Geeps. I've also seen one time an E60 pulling 2 AEM-7's and a P42. I found that odd. There are of course also the ocastional NJT engine and equipment moves down to the ACL. Speaking of NJT desiels on the NEC, whatever happened to the "Desiel Express" on the NEC that NJT used to run a few years ago? Most (if not all) engine moves on all railroads are pretty much on an as needed basis.
They stopped it a few years back for whatever reason. The trains themselves now run b/w NWK to TRE with Arrows, but I'm sure that you know that Erik. These trains are the only NEC trains that could still be diesels if ever need be.

If NJT ever did resume NEC service to Hoboken, they could now use ALPs because the Waterfront Con. is now electrified unless of course they want to have a diesel equipment move. I myself (as I am sure you would too) would love to see and hear diesels in use on the NEC.

#39884  by jspsh

it never hurts to have some variety on the NEC

#39889  by nick11a

jspsh wrote:it never hurts to have some variety on the NEC
True, and there are riders who travel from the NEC to Hoboken and back. They now use either PATH or NJCL Waterfront trains.

#39899  by TAMR213

Agreed. I would LOVE to see and hear it. I would hear it every weekday during the school year while walking to the bus stop back when I was like 9 (8 years ago). Ah the memories!

#40355  by jspsh

saw a P32 #514 with a gray Amtrak GP38 engine passing PJC at 9:20 today.
IIRC i saw one last week around the same time and day

#40368  by nick11a

jspsh wrote:saw a P32 #514 with a gray Amtrak GP38 engine passing PJC at 9:20 today.
IIRC i saw one last week around the same time and day
Interesting. I sometimes see some Ps around County at the Amtrak yard. I'm not sure what they are doing. I know they tend to keep protect engines at Midway so I don't think they have the Ps for protect service.

#40416  by jspsh

back in May, I managed to catch dual P42 in a engine move

http://community.webshots.com/photo/170 ... 3467jrCnUu
It's a shaky picture at dusk so it isn't the best picture
Last edited by jspsh on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#40426  by TAMR213

Interesting. I sometimes see some Ps around County at the Amtrak yard. I'm not sure what they are doing. I know they tend to keep protect engines at Midway so I don't think they have the Ps for protect service.
Thats not County, thats the Adams MOW base. County is shared between Shared Assets and NJT. A few months back there was a P42 in Adams on a rail train because they were laying extra rail along the NEC. Then apparently developed problems after it was done with all its work, and it was just sitting there for awhile. I've also never ever seen a protect engine at Midway.

#40433  by Jtgshu

The P32's and some P40's (maybe 42's too? I dunno) have been in work train service out of Adam's MOW base down there west of County for a while now, Ive seen those types of locos down there for more than a year now. The GP38's are still floating around down there too.

Every once in a while there is a protect engine at Midway, but really once in a great while, and usually when there are doing lots of track work in the area, and cna't have a train sitting there for hours while they bring power in from somewhere far away to rescue it

#40464  by nick11a

TAMR213 wrote:
Thats not County, thats the Adams MOW base. County is shared between Shared Assets and NJT. A few months back there was a P42 in Adams on a rail train because they were laying extra rail along the NEC. Then apparently developed problems after it was done with all its work, and it was just sitting there for awhile. I've also never ever seen a protect engine at Midway.
OK thanks, didn't know what it was called. I've just thought of it as the Amtrak yard just west of County. And jsph, you're in my spot!!!!! Just kidding. :D When I get back there to New Brunswick, I hope to catch some of these moves as well.