Railroad Forums 

• Encounters with Wildlife?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1466514  by GP40MC1118

There are a few coyotes living somewhere around BET in Somerville. Last year, there was even a sighting of pups.
If you monitor the yard channel at night, you'll occasionally hear the switching crews tip each other off when one
of more of them are roaming around.

D
 #1466569  by B&Mguy

Plate C wrote:Happens enough for me. Deer are a pretty common occurrence. I seem to come across a lot of vultures too. In the past year a friend and I ventured out a ways on an abanadoned rail bridge and there were some sizeable, but young/naive/curious cormorants that allowed us to get pretty close and take pictures. One location I go has a fox that shows itself regularly enough. Beavers. Herons. Recently saw some river otters for the first time heading back from railfanning. Probably in the past year on the way to railfan I saw the largest black bear, had to tip the scales at 500lbs+.
Wow, where did you see the black bear? Hopefully from a distance!
 #1466577  by Plate C

I was several car lengths back, which really helped drive home the size. It ran across the road in front of some cars and it took my mind a second to process what could be that large crossing the road, like was that some sort of golf cart or ATV?? It was gone in a flash. Railfanning aside though, I can say that where I am I say the bears maintain a ROW and have had a few unplanned encounters with one large bear and another with a family of four, both at around 20'. Fascinating, and frightening!