Railroad Forums 

• Employee Timetables needed for Jamestown, NY

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#93235  by pablo

I'm looking for some information for a book that I'm writing. I would like to know if anyone has employee timetables that cover the Jamestown, NY area once Conrail gained E-L trackage.

In particular, I'm looking for one particular track that was little used and barely lasted to the Conrail years. The area in Jamestown was the "Boatlanding," and there was at least one customer there until 1986, the last date of service that I can find. The track ended up being abandoned--but not torn up--due to weight restrictions on the rails, and likely, turning radius issues as well. The rails still exist today.

The tracks were originally those of the Jamestown, Westfield, and Northwestern. This was an interurban that also ran freight, and at the early part of the years listed, used steam to interchange with the freight roads. Before too long, electric freight motors and occasional baggage trolley cars were used to bring freight cars to interchange. In 1947, the road dieselized, and used 70 tonners until the road folded in 1950. Erie switchers then took over the business, and after that, E-L switchers. I have a picture of an SW-unit doing some switching in the Falconer area, and I assume these units handled what was left of Boatlanding traffic until the end. I do not believe larger road units could have made it in there and stayed on the rails, though I could be wrong.

Any and all inofrmation that you can provide would be excellent. Thanks in advance.

Dave Becker