Railroad Forums 

• Emmons Lancaster

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1274668  by S1f3432

There was a brief obituary in the Portland Press Herald yesterday for Jean Emmons Lancaster, 81, who passed away
May 25, 2014, after a brief illness. Emmons was an engineer in the Bridge and Buildings Department of the Maine Central
Railroad for many years and active in the 470 Railroad Club, editing and printing the newsletter in his basement for a
lengthy time. He was also active in many railfan and preservation projects over time, including the start-up of the
Conway Scenic RR in the early-mid seventies. The obituary when on to say a memorial service will be held on a yet-to-
be announced date in July.
 #1274764  by MEC407

I am sad to hear of his passing. He was heavily involved with the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Maine Operation Lifesaver. That was where I first met him.
Attachments:
emmons.jpg
emmons.jpg (95.16 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
 #1274827  by Mikejf

Sad sad news. His heart was in railroading, and I do believe I owe my involvement with my current museum to him. He was so into history, he steered me in the direction of another museum, telling me to check them out. I'm glad I did. Thank you Emmons. You will be missed.
 #1274830  by MEC407

Somewhere around here I've got a Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad souvenir passenger ticket, and it has his signature printed on it with the title of Superintendent of the Railroad.