Railroad Forums 

• EMD Test Units

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#286918  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Anyone out there know of the disposition of the following EMD test unit?

# 218 an ExAmtrak SDP40F converted to a -2

# 562 an "F" unit named the "Ken Moser"

And where the 5740 was scrapped...

#287060  by SSW9389

The SD45X #5740 was held at Paducah for some time. It had been reduced to a hulk and was cut up several years ago.

Never heard of an EMD #562, but there was an EMD #462 F9AM rebuilt from an F7A. :wink:

#287592  by ExEMDLOCOTester

SSW9389 wrote:The SD45X #5740 was held at Paducah for some time. It had been reduced to a hulk and was cut up several years ago.

Never heard of an EMD #562, but there was an EMD #462 F9AM rebuilt from an F7A. :wink:
462 is correct !! :-D Do you know what happened to her???

#287743  by SSW9389

The following is on Loconotes a Yahoo Group and was posted 12/31/03:

Re: EMD 462 Disposition?
EMD 462 was scrapped at Midwest Metalics (Pielot Bros) in 1998. They held it for some time, offers were made to buy it, but no group ever came up with the cash. The last offer was to buy the cab for a restaurant in down town Chicago but that fell through. I remember pieces of it went to Larry`s T.E. when the property was being cleaned up. Anybody need an F unit pilot. The 462`s and a brand new one from EMD went to LTE when Midwest shut down.
Ken Lanovich

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:
SSW9389 wrote:The SD45X #5740 was held at Paducah for some time. It had been reduced to a hulk and was cut up several years ago.

462 is correct !! :-D Do you know what happened to her???
 #287972  by USRailFan

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:# 218 an ExAmtrak SDP40F converted to a -2
I thought all SDP40Fs were -2s technically?
 #288002  by ExEMDLOCOTester

USRailFan wrote:
ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:# 218 an ExAmtrak SDP40F converted to a -2
I thought all SDP40Fs were -2s technically?
I think you are correct. When Amtrak scrapped the unit EMD Engineering department obtained the carcass, gutted it and installed a new engine, AR 10 and D77 motors. The High Voltage Cabinet was never changed but it too was gutted and easilly accepted the new dash 2 module rack.
 #290023  by Bryanjones

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Anyone out there know of the disposition of the following EMD test unit?

# 218 an ExAmtrak SDP40F converted to a -2

And where the 5740 was scrapped...
Not sure of any disposition of the #218, but all SDP40F's were DASH 2 units as built.

The SD45X #5740 was ultimately scrapped at VMV in Paducah,KY.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#292416  by CSXT 700

Is this the unit you are taling about? Kind of funny I just scaned these into the computer a few moths ago, If I rember correctly, it was April, 1st of 1994, there were also quite a few GP9/7's, and GP30's, in PC and CR too.

#293264  by ExEMDLOCOTester

What a sad sight, the 462 at Pilet Brothers alongside Amtrak balast on Plainfield road.......

Thanks CSXT .....
 #949939  by ex-LLPLLC

Before I retired from "Old EMD"in 2005, I was part of Locomotive Leasing Partners, which was a leasing company formed in 1996 by General Motors and GATX Capital. We acquired the EMD5740 from EMD and had planned to convert it to a locomotive model that would be a reliable leaseable unit. After much discussion and investigation it was determined that such a plan was not economically feasible, and the locomotive (minus some components) was stored at VMV in Paducah, KY. As discussion was held to dispose of the locomotive (probably by salvaging what we could and scrapping the remainder) I was allowed to take on the task of preserving this locomotive somewhere, as I felt it was an important piece of railroading history. That said, I spoke directly with officials of the Illinois Railway Museum, who expressed a desire to acquire this locomotive for preservation and display. The only catch was they didn't have the necessary funds available to pay the cost of shipment to their location from Paducah, and I was unable to find anyone interested enough to somehow make this happen. As reported elsewhere here, the locomotive was scrapped on site at VMV. I do have a picture of the cab portion laying on its side in the open fields at VMV. I have, however, saved the original number boards (2 sets, white-on-black and black-on-white) from this locomotive which are now in my possession.