Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD80MAC and SD90MAC series official thread

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#313813  by GOLDEN-ARM

Mt Dew in your grip? That's what the fridge is for. I don't mind the bouncing, seems like an Alco, that way. I want to be able to yank them, quickly, when transitioning from dynamics, into traction, at the bottom of a sag, end of speed restriction, whatever. The SD's will immediately ramp up, and pull, while the GE's seem to be locked, in an eternal struggle, to overcome the idle position................ :P Welded rail, and good ties make the bouncy rides, kind of a moot point. I've never seen a loco before, that simply "bounced" off the rail, and I can remember plenty of times, bouncing along in a "toaster motor", with the loco bouncing so hard, it was bottoming out the springs, with a thunderous "boom", and severe impact in the seat, every few seconds, as we bounced along the right of way. I've "rocked" an EMD into pounding, on the truck stops, but never vertically bottomed one out, before. I would like to see a MOP's face, as I explained the loco simply bounced itself off the rails, and speed or trainhandling, were not at issue in doing it............ :-D

#313943  by SSW9389

The story of the 6000 horsepower "H" engine is continuing in China. A total of 300 JT56ACe units are on order since September 2005. The first ten are to be built the third quarter of 2007 at the Dalian Locomotive Works. See Trains Magazine Special Issue Locomotive pp. 65-66 for more details. According to this article the "H" engine is still in development.

And most of those SD90MACs that UP turned back to lessor are on KCS pulling away. :wink:

#314011  by MEC407

SSW9389 wrote:And most of those SD90MACs that up turned back to lessor are on KCS pulling away. :wink:
I heard that KCS was having lots of "issues" with the 90s, although I wasn't given any specifics in terms of whether the problem was with the engine, the computer, or something else.

#314164  by UPRR engineer

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Mt Dew in your grip? That's what the fridge is for. I don't mind the bouncing..... I want to be able to yank them, quickly, when transitioning from dynamics, into traction, at the bottom of a sag....
I'm a Dogcatcher (mostly) there dude, not enough time (or sense in) to set up camp for an hour ride into town. :-D

The other part, you read my post too fast, at speed they aint bad, on a train that needs a spreading, the bouncing at take off, thats the part i dont like. Super computer not liking my throttle commands at the start of the shove.

EMD's did the right thing by not naming there "newest motors" with a nine fallowed by a zero, cuzz there junk. Ask SLCHUB, more then 50% of the time if you have a SD 90 trailing, it has a major malfunction. Its not uncommon to hear an alarm bell, air exhausting in the cab, PCS light on, "air brake fault" flashing when your doing a walk threw.

The last two times that i can remember getting upset at a 90, dogcatching, mission was to rob on off the Devil that was out spreading and go get some MIA cars from a mine and take them to town, soon as we cut her off the pack and tried moving it, independent wouldnt release the brakes. "Taking a 7000 from ya insted" (could have turned off the super computer and the air brake computer, but i saw she wasnt dependable right off the bat.) And the other time trying to make one conventional off the end of a DP coal train so i could get it to the pit. The DP set up screen kept flashing, wouldnt let me do my work. Got pissed, killed it and pulled the cord on her. That normalized everything. I was almost ready to have the RCL crew come over and drag me to the pit.

#314469  by Bryanjones

MEC407 wrote:
SSW9389 wrote:And most of those SD90MACs that up turned back to lessor are on KCS pulling away. :wink:
I heard that KCS was having lots of "issues" with the 90s, although I wasn't given any specifics in terms of whether the problem was with the engine, the computer, or something else.

while early on the new 265H prime mover had reliability issues those were corrected and the real weak link with the SD90MAC-H turned out to be the electrical system, which has continued to be a problem with the 6000hp units.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
 #408457  by UPRR engineer

Finally took some pictures of those "do-dads" that hold the cab to the rest of the motor there EMDTester buddy.

Looking to the left from the front door:

And the right:

#408532  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Thanks !!!

The second shot..... Is that a cab light mounted on the overhead / bulkhead???

Are more isolators located between the "Floating Cab" and the underframe? That hardware dosen't look beefy enough to suspend the whole cab.

#409414  by UPRR engineer

Welcome buddy

The light is mounted to the cab "part" buddy.

I tried looking for some more "bolts" inside the electric cabinet and i opened the engine doors out back to see if i could see them from the other side, didnt see any.

#409622  by ExEMDLOCOTester

I am trying to get a reference point. In pic # 1 you reference the "Front door" is this the outside front door or the door between the cab & short hood?

#409859  by UPRR engineer

LOL i didnt word that too good did i buddy, both pictures were took as i stood on the front porch, looking inside the nose. First picture was the engineers side and the second is the firemen side.
 #477478  by SwingMan

Does anyone have pix-to-post? I want to know what the LIRR wants to replace the DE/DM30-AC's with ahead of time :-) . Thanks! lirr415-Peter

#478322  by MEC407

I highly doubt they will be replacing them with SD90s!

#478412  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm with MEC on this. Why would they want SD-90's, and what exactly are you asking for? Pictures of SD-90's? Pictures of LIRR DE/DM-30 units?
 #560461  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's the spot, for your SD-89 and SD-90 questions, comments and concerns. ENJOY!!! :-D