Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD40 series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#318817  by Jtgshu

Black c/b's down = no go
Silver c/b's down = still go

Simple as that!!! :-)

The modules have a few resets on them too - when stuck and broken down, push anything that says "reset"!!!!!

I broke down a few weeks ago, GP40 wouldn't come out of dynamic braking and pull for power after a station stop - wouldn't load up.........would rev fine, but wouldn't pull for power. Reset the "Brake Trans C/B" that didn't do it, farted around with reverser, that didn't do it, cut brake stand in and out, that didn't do it. Even cut out cab signal system, that didn't do it. the switch gear wouldn't switch back over to "power" mode for lack of a better description.

Finally, last resort, cut out traction motors - ended up being the number 3 TM needed to be cut out. As soon as it was c/o, switch gear went, and we moved...........called dispatch and mechanical forces, to let them know we got it and we were on our way, only about 10 minutes late.....passegners weren't too ticked off, they were actuallly giving thumbs up signs when they were getting off!!! it was funny!

#318908  by pennsy

Hi All,

Interesting. At one time the SD-40-2 was the mainstay and backbone of the Union Pacific. They were often called, " Fast Forties" since in proper multiples they could high ball any freight. Of course at that time they were well taken care of. Even the paint job was nice and clean.
 #318919  by amtrakhogger

There is nothing like 2 SD40-2's in run 8 pushing a train up Horseshoe Curve. No GE can compare!
 #321232  by Gilbert B Norman

We have a Member here, F40PHR231, who owns one.

While I recognize and respect this material could be moved to the EMD Forum, allow me to start if off here.

Likely 99% of us here are aware that the Amtrak ordered SDP-40F's left "much to be desired' as passenger locomotives. In fact it is a fair statement they flopped. Further, I think most know that about 70 of these 150 locomotives were taken in trade for a like number of F-40PH's.

I further believe most are aware this was a "facesaving" move for both sides; EMD for selling Amtrak an unsuitable passenger locomotive, and Amtrak for hastily acquiring such.

Such locomotives were given model number F-40PHR by EMD with the R denoting 'rebuild'. However, since this transaction occurred during the administration of Paul H Reistrup, Amtrak's second CEO, they became known as the "Paul Reistrups'.

OK, Mother Lode aside; I have often wondered to what extent these locomotives had remanufactured parts salvaged from the traded in F-40's?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

#321238  by ExEMDLOCOTester

I'll bite ..... What is it???

#321284  by wigwagfan

I don't know if Mr. Fussell is still active as I haven't seen him post here at all, but I have run into him and he does participate on a number of local groups in the Portland area, as well as is active with the SP #4449 group.

In addition to his F40PHR (#231) that is currently being painted in a SP Daylight scheme (there are reasons for it, the plan is down the road it'll be repainted back into Amtrak colors), one of his friends owns, and he has helped with, an ex-Amtrak SDP40F that was later traded to Santa Fe. It is the unit that was repainted for Maersk Sealand, and currently is on lease to the Portland & Western Railroad as DLMX 644 (that's DLMX, as in "Doyle L. McCormack", the chief mechanical officer for the SP #4449 group). In fact I chased the train with the 644 in the lead last weekend from Corvallis to McMinnville, including a picture of the #644 stopped for a brief moment in front of the old Southern Pacific Red Electric passenger depot in McMinnville (still used by the Portland & Western Railroad as a crew office.)

The #644 is still in the quasi-Santa Fe/Maersk Sealand "Warbonnet" scheme minus lettering, with a blue nose and a mostly silver body.

#321341  by John_Perkowski

Granted Wikipedia is not the best source in the world...

I suspect the engine, electrical cabinet, generators and traction motors were among the components reused. Both locomotives used EMD 645E3 engines.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

"EDITED BY EMD MODERATOR"
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#321357  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Until Mr. John_Perkowski throws the switch and places us on another track, AMTRAK shipped many SDP 40's to EMD to be stripped of parts before they moved to the bone yard on the other side of the IHB. The Engines, Turbos, Generators, Traction motors, Aux gens, were rebuilt and installed in the F40PH's. This was in Late 1977. The shipping track at EMD was FULL of SPD 40's.

Edits in BOLD

#321405  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Thank You !!!!

#321450  by Nelson Bay

John_Perkowski wrote:I hadn't even thought about the Turbos...

Nice to have someone from LaGrange on hand here.
You covered it correctly when you said "engines". The turbo is considered a component of the 645E3 engine assembly.
 #321522  by emd_SD_60

What does the "Q" on the CN SD40-2Q's mean?
 #321697  by Bryanjones

emd_SD_60 wrote:What does the "Q" on the CN SD40-2Q's mean?
well its not SD40-2Q, but SD40Q. The Q stands for Q Tron, which is the microprocessor package added when the locomotives were rebuilt. This pertains to the 6000 series units. Simply put, the units are SD40-3's.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#321815  by GOLDEN-ARM

Nice, quick answer. No further speculation needed, and topic edited, to reflect this. Thanks, Bryan. <<<CLICK>>>