Railroad Forums 

• EMD GM10B Electric Loco

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1169612  by sswcharlie

Hi

In thread earlier this year on the NYC electrics there was mention of books with electric loco drawings. I am wanting to build an HO model of the EMD GM10B and looking for outline drawings. Very hard to locate.

Is anyone able to help ?

Thankyou

Charles Harris
 #1170726  by Noel Weaver

The GM10B was an experimental electric locomotive built by EMD in the 70's for through freight operation in the Northeast Corridor or elsewhere. It was designed and built to run off AC under an overhead wire. It never saw any operation on the New York Central or elsewhere on third rail. I suggest you start a thread under locomotives, I think it went back to General Motors after some use by Conrail in the Northeast and probably got dismantled for parts sometime after its return.
Noel Weaver
 #1171055  by Backshophoss

The GM-10 was a 3 truck expermental electic built in July of '76,along with the GM-6(c)built April of '75 with the Help of ASEA from sweden,
developed along with the AEM-7's.
The GM-10 was a B-B-B,76ft-4 inch long frame with with the truck centers spaced 22 ft apart,reported HP of 10,000.
The GM -6(c) was built on a SD-45 frame,a C-C,reported HP of 6000.
Both ran under ex-PRR wire,11kv/25hz

If you can find a copy of Jerry A. Pinkepank/Louis A. Marre's "Diesel Spotters Guide Update"(Kalmbach,1979),
page 91 has the basic spec's and page 94 a photo of each loco.

The E-10-B was a 660 volt DC B-B "steeple cab" like switchers used in the Buffalo NY area,converted to run on the
ex-NYC 3rd rail by Metro North ,not sure of the year that was done,were used to switch in GCT when the S-2's were retired.
They might be still lurking in the deadline at Harmon.
 #1172343  by pbass

The E10B was obtained from Conrail by the MTA circa 1981[and letterd MTA].I used both the S motors & E10B's for switching in GCT.And no,there is no more derelict equipment in Croton East Yard as the MTA cleared all retired equipment from the premises and access is fenced off.