Railroad Forums 

• EMD E8A brake shoes

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#653547  by NS59

Looking for some help here. I am currently assisting in returning two E8A locomotives to service and need sets of brake shoes for both locomotives. So far these things have been very hard to come by, does anyone know suppliers or organizations that these could be purchased from.

Thanks
 #654519  by ex Budd man

Check with former operator of Es; BN used them for commuter trains, Amtrak, better yet UP still has them. See if their mechanical department will give you the names of suppliers.
 #654941  by BR&P

If the shoes are some discontinued size, consider changing brake heads to something that will accept shoes now in use. Will a brake head from an SD-40 fit on the E-8 truck? There's got to be quite a few of those heads available. More costly at first but if it lets you use shoes commonly in use it can pay off - you might even be able to occasionally get a friendly mechanic from a Class I to donate a few shoes for free.
 #654943  by DutchRailnut

The E-8 probably used Cast iron shoes, you can't just change brake heads and put composition shoes on.
To convert to different type shoes the brake rate needs to be adjusted, either by changing to different size brake cylinders or by changing the valve for brake rate.
Ill see if I can find any Manufacturers info on crates of FL-9 brake shoes.
 #654954  by NS59

Interesting, So we will have to stay with the old cast iron ones or else have to adjust the brake drum heads to convert. I think the FL9's and E8's have different brake shoe sizes though?

Thanks
 #654959  by DutchRailnut

Only difference is wheel diameter, a E-8 has smaller wheels, but manufacturer should be same.
we still use cast Iron shoes on 6 CDOT FL-9m's
 #654962  by NS59

So, the actual size of the brake shoe (i.e. length and/or curvature) is not not an issue based on the diameter of the wheel???
 #655092  by DutchRailnut

yes it is, but manufacturer is still same one, just different part number.
In a pinch the brake shoes from larger wheels can be used on smaller wheels.
but not smaller brake shoes on larger wheels or they break in middle.
 #655206  by NS59

Thank you very much for your help. Please let me know the name of the mfg with you can get it.

Dave
 #655259  by BR&P

When they first started using comp shoes on locomotives, pressure adjustments were needed as Dutch says. Even that would not be a big problem for you. Those units still have 24RL brakes I think - it requires a different type J relay valve and they are available from Multi-Serve and other brake part vendors.

However, they now make composition shoes which can be interchanged directly in place of cast iron. Airtek ( http://www.airtek-inc.com ) sells Cobra shoes, and no doubt there are other brands. If you know what number cast iron shoes the units take, it's easy to cross-reference the Cobra number.
 #655337  by DutchRailnut

Composition shoes run way hotter than cast Iron shoes, one of problems with Composition shoes on first 4 CDOT FL-9's done by Chrome was cracked wheels.
I would stick with Cast iron , specialy on a passenger unit.
 #655424  by BR&P

So now you're in the mechanical department Dutch? :wink:

The units NS59 is working on (there are only two in the area and I presume we're talking about the same ones) will be running on Class 2 track, max 30 MPH for passenger. It's not like they will be bringing a train down from 79 MPH and I doubt heat will be an issue.

Furthermore, the result could actually be the opposite. At comparatively SLOW speeds the composition shoes have LESS effectiveness - they have to be warmed up before they grab well and on a few occasions when going from a railroad with cast iron shoes to one with comp shoes, there was an adjustment in my thinking needed to compensate for the longer stopping room required on a winter day with comp shoes. Maybe the newest ones are better. And I think you'll find comp shoes are far more common than you think Dutch - maybe your line still uses cast iron but I'm betting that within the next 5-10 years the cast iron shoe becomes a rarity.

My opinion is don't sweat the heat thing - it won't be an issue.
 #655795  by DutchRailnut

For info I was mechanic and Foreman for 6 years, and have 12 years as Chief Electrician for Holland america Cruise lines.
Was offered job as shop manager for MNCR but decided engineer was more fun.