Railroad Forums 

• EMD Artwork

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#564542  by NYSW3614

I'd like to know more about the prints that EMD distributed showing their F units. Case in point, a Reading Company FT ABBA passing through a generic scene. Artist H.U. Bockewitz. It measures18.5" high, 27.5" framed. Were this available for public sale? Given to agents of the company when the railroad placed an order or when the order was delivered?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

The SD45
 #564845  by GOLDEN-ARM

I've seen them from EMD as well as Alco. Presented with orders, and usually the result of an "artists conception" to show a prospective buyer what they would be getting. (sometimes, the paintings and/or prints gave a customer an idea for a paint scheme. Some railroads just took what the builders painted, without designing the scheme themselves) The LV has multiple paintings, that were then made into prints, showing carbody quartets in the "Gorge", showing the newest power, from their respective builders. As an aside, the sales department also gave giant models of the new locos, to preferred buyers, with larger orders. Those are pretty cool, with an original painting hanging on the wall, over your giant set of FT's....... :-D
 #564878  by tomjohn

Gentlemen,

If my memory is correct Railroad/Railfan magazine published an article or(series of) about this topic back in the 1980'S ?

Tom
 #564900  by NYSW3614

Yes they did, it was R&R, but it was on the artwork itself. Was wondering what the prints were used for.
 #566812  by tomjohn

NYSW3614 wrote:Yes they did, it was R&R, but it was on the artwork itself. Was wondering what the prints were used for.
Me too .. I have the article in my collection of railroad related magazines .