Railroad Forums 

• Elkhart, IN railfanning

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#455613  by Plate F

Hi all! This thanksgiving I am going to Elkhart to be with my brother. I plan on going to the yards there sometime during my visit. However, being unfamiliar with the area, is there anything I need to know about it? Where are some good places to view, and when is it busiest? I don't know how many of you are from around that area, but I do know it is very large yard, from looking at aerial photos. Thank you for your anticipated responses.

#458897  by esprrfan

On the eastside of the yard is the Amtrak station, just accross from that is the NYC museum. A busy public street runs along the northside. Police are always present so don't venture into the yard.

#467191  by Tadman

I'm from the area since the day I was born, and although I go to school in Kansas and spend most of my time there now, I can offer the following:
1. There is plenty of viewing opportunities at this busy yard from public property - don't go on RR property.
2. My favorites include the west end, where you can see SD38's shoving the hump. Also, the fuel pad is a fun place to watch.
3. the NYC museum is a fun visit
4. about 40 minute to the west is the South Shore - well worth a visit or a ride, but that is the busiest day on the railroad.
5. Also about 30 minutes west is the NS/GTW(CN) junction and trackage rights, if you want to see some CN action.
6. For food, go to Casey's up the road from the NYC museum. It's a bit pricey, but not formal, and pretty darn good.