Railroad Forums 

• Electronic Bells

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#43364  by Metalrailz

Recently I was driving down Bordentown Ave in Sayreville when I noticed lights approaching from Browns Yard. I turned the truck around and parked in the lot behind the Deli at the intersection of Old Bridge Turnpike and Bordentown Ave. When the lights were activated I noticed that an electronic bell was installed. Anyone else come across electronic bells on their journeys?

#43383  by trainfreak

For some reason i can remember hearing electronic bells on something but i cant remember what. It was eigther the crossing gates or train bell.
 #43397  by n01jd1

CSX installed electronic bells at the Mount Vernon Street and Bergen Turnpike crossings on the Bergen Sub. (Former CR River Line) in Ridgefield Park during the double track project.

Metalrailz wrote:Recently I was driving down Bordentown Ave in Sayreville when I noticed lights approaching from Browns Yard. I turned the truck around and parked in the lot behind the Deli at the intersection of Old Bridge Turnpike and Bordentown Ave. When the lights were activated I noticed that an electronic bell was installed. Anyone else come across electronic bells on their journeys?
 #43476  by transit383

Metalrailz wrote:Recently I was driving down Bordentown Ave in Sayreville when I noticed lights approaching from Browns Yard. I turned the truck around and parked in the lot behind the Deli at the intersection of Old Bridge Turnpike and Bordentown Ave. When the lights were activated I noticed that an electronic bell was installed. Anyone else come across electronic bells on their journeys?
Gates are being installed at that crossing too. The supports for the gates are already in place and have been for a few months now, but I don't know when the actual gates will be installed. The nearby Emerson Street crossing was also fitted with new crossing protection and may have bells as well, I haven't gotten a chance to thoroughly check out that crossing though.

#43687  by Pull Man

All of the crossings on the new (unopened) section of the HBLR appear to have electronic bells.

#43873  by transit383

Took a closer look at the new bells at the Old Matawan Road/Old Bridge Turnpike crossing. Sure are strange looking creatures! Do they sound much different than the standard bell?

#44016  by GooStats

when I was out in Cali a few years back, they had electronic bells all over the place, and the red flashers looked like some sort of red digital screen i've never seen used before.

#45848  by SteelWheels21

There are electronic bells all over the place here in Portland, Especially on the joint UP/BNSF main that enters the city from the south. The sound is a little more tinny, and of course "fake"...the closest I can come is combining the old bell with a backup alarm on a truck or schoolbus.

#47083  by Engineer

They were installed at the High Street Crossing in Metuchen on the Bonhampton Ind. Its kind of a soft sound, u can defnitely tell its not a real bell though. Sounds more like a tone of an electronic doorbell.
At first I thought this thread was about the electronic bells on locos. The remanufactured Amtrak AEM-7ACs all have lost their mechanical bells to electronic bells. They sound exactly like real bells, minus the mechanical ratcheting (click) sound between gongs.

#47252  by nick11a

Engineer wrote:They were installed at the High Street Crossing in Metuchen on the Bonhampton Ind. Its kind of a soft sound, u can defnitely tell its not a real bell though. Sounds more like a tone of an electronic doorbell.
At first I thought this thread was about the electronic bells on locos. The remanufactured Amtrak AEM-7ACs all have lost their mechanical bells to electronic bells. They sound exactly like real bells, minus the mechanical ratcheting (click) sound between gongs.
Wow, didn't know that. Hey, they sound pretty good! No more exhaust release too I guess when they stop the bells.

#47460  by Metalrailz

I also noticed that the crossing lights are now being changed to LED. They have them at the crossing on Possumtown Road in Piscataway.
But back to the topic, I would agreee they sound like an electronic doorbell with a smooth sounding chime. They look like big air vents on top of the pole.

#47639  by steemtrayn

NJT locomotive no. 4300 has 2 bells; the original with it's air-operated clapper, and an electronic bell. They sound almost the same.