Railroad Forums 

• Electrify Edinburgh-Glasgow line

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#236038  by Sir Ray

For some reason I though that route was electrified - one of those programs in the 1950s or something.
Clearly, I was wrong...

#236098  by george matthews

Sir Ray wrote:For some reason I though that route was electrified - one of those programs in the 1950s or something.
Clearly, I was wrong...
There is an electric line. The connection to Carstairs is electrified but that is a longish way round. Some GNER and Virgin trains go that way. But the extremely busy mainline is still diesel.

The new line from Bathgate will be electric. So there will eventually be three electrified lines.

Now, on to Aberdeen.

#236399  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:oh i always thought it was electrified along with the ecmt too .
There are at present three methods of taking a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. The fastest is the direct line via Falkirk High. That line is very busy, more than two trains an hour, but uses only diesels.

The second line is slower and goes via Shotts and Cleland. That line is not yet proposed for electrification. The third line is via Carstairs and is used only by the InterCity operators. That is electrified.

A fourth line will be created when the line west of Bathgate is reopened. This line is also proposed for electrification. Bathgate was a branch that was reopened about 20 years ago and has been successful, though still diesel. It's an area that has lost its heavy industry and so needs good communications to help create new jobs.

#236595  by Semaphore Sam

Where will the line west of Bathgate hook up with the system? Is this the restoration of an old link, or something new?

#236680  by george matthews

Semaphore Sam wrote:Where will the line west of Bathgate hook up with the system? Is this the restoration of an old link, or something new?
The line from Edinburgh to Bathgate was reopened about 20 years ago. The section from Glasgow to Airdrie is still open. It is the section btween the two that needs reopening. I think the track was comletely lifted.

It was part of an industrial district which declined when the mines closed and now better transport links would help its revival. I think the distance is about 12 miles.

#319451  by Semaphore Sam

Any update on the progress of this line? When is it scheduled to open to Glawgow? I investigated the line about 2 years ago from E'boro to Bathgate...it seemed to be just a country byway...I'd sure be glad to see it become a useful connector route!

#319473  by george matthews

Semaphore Sam wrote:Any update on the progress of this line? When is it scheduled to open to Glawgow? I investigated the line about 2 years ago from E'boro to Bathgate...it seemed to be just a country byway...I'd sure be glad to see it become a useful connector route!
I've not been watching this proposal. The other rail projects get more pubicity - reopening the Borders railway, airport connections. However, I think it will happen.