Railroad Forums 

• Electric Equipment

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#83233  by Tadman

What happened to the MU's and ancient box cabs in Montreal after re-electrification to AC? I always liked those cars and locos but never got to see them.

#83798  by Ken V

Four of the five remaining original GE boxcabs were donated, one each to the Canadian Railway Museum (St. Constant QC), Canada Science and Technology Museum (Ottawa ON), the Town of Mount Royal, and Ville Deux Montagnes. The fifth was sold to the Connecticut Trolley Museum.

A pair of MUs were also donated to the Canadian Railway Museum and several others were sold to various tourist operators in Canada and the U.S. for use as unpowered coaches.

#83809  by missthealcos

I have always wondered what happened to the EE boxcabs...they just seemed to disappear..

#84125  by Ken V

missthealcos wrote:I have always wondered what happened to the EE boxcabs...they just seemed to disappear..
Yeah, me too. All the English Electric boxcabs and the 1950 GE centrecabs have vanished without a trace... probably scrapped.

#84610  by missthealcos

I recall hearing the centercabs were sold...don't remember any details though..EE's on the other hand, never a peep.