Railroad Forums 

• EL Hopper

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#40244  by CPSD40-2

FYI, as of Sunday 8/1, there was an Erie Lackawanna hopper car parked on the old team track in Geneva, NY. The track is off Exchange St and led up to the Lehigh Valley Freight House, now a restaurant and card shop.

The great thing about it is that there's been no improvements made to the car at all, it still bears EL reporting marks and numbers, etc. Rusty, but cool!

#40428  by fglk

kind of funny how we all never saw these old cars till after Conrail split up eh?? Cars that I have seen on Finger Lakes some remarked outhers not remarked are:
Richmond Fredricksburg & Patomic-->Saw one last summer got a pic of it
Norfolk & Western-->Covered Hoppers and Gondolas
Sea Board System-->Covered Hoppers
Sea Board Coast Line-->Covered Hoppers
Atlantic Coast Line-->Covered Hoppers
Penn Central (Orignals)-->Covered Hoppers & Ballest Hoppers
Northern Alberta Railway-->Double Door Boxcars
Bangor & Arrostook-->Double Door Boxcars
Western Pacific--->Look For GMRC Gondola 901
Baltimore & Ohio-->Covered Hoppers
Chessie System-->Covered Hoppers
Western Maryland-->Covered Hoppers
Reading Lines--->Used to see a covered hopper in Auburn a long time a ago makeing rounds to Owns-Illinois.
Erie-Lackawanna-->quarter Flat that FGLK has was ex EL Boxcar
Valadosta Central (Fallen Flag Shortline)
Green Bay & Western
Louisville & Nashville--> Covered Hoppers
Southern railway (all seen some org. Big John Cars)
Burlin Mills Railway (Fallen Flag Shortline)
Matigami Railway
Great Slave Lake Railway (Part of CN 1980's??)
Nestle-->Remarked Boxcars
Bath & Hammondsport-->Former Boxcars remarked
Alcan Chemical Corportion (Covered Hoppers)
Great Northen-->Gondolas
Northern Pacific-->Gondolas
National of Mexico/TFM Remark-->Gondolas
Huchison & Northern-->Boxcars (Fallen Flag Short Line)
United States Air Force-->Reefers (Blue cars with USAF Logo on them sold as surpluse)
Illinois Central Gulf
Illinois Central Terminal
NL&G
Rock Island Railroad
Winchester & Western Railroad
Ontario Midland-->Got a pic of there only Ballest Hopper
Conrail-->some remarked outhers not remarked

#40466  by CPSD40-2

And don't forget the infamous Morton Salt boxcar(s) that seem to show up now and then.....

#40468  by scottychaos

SD40,
wheres the pictures?! :P

#40479  by CPSD40-2

I'll try to get some - I think it might be in ballast service actually, since not much really comes into Geneva in open-top hoppers other than ballast.

#41864  by fglk

Former Bath & Hamondsport Boxcar was spoted in Geneva, NY on the Finger Lakes Railway there are 3 cars that show up on occation I got a pic of one of them about a year and half ago. I my self did not beleve that there were any of there cars left this one is a light ghost gray color 50' Single Door Boxcar The car was painted out but the Tiped Wine glass logo bleed threw the paint. I'll have to dig up the pic and get the new owners reporting marks and road number.

#45686  by krobar

OK is it a 2 or 3 bay hopper, and what is the number? :-)