Railroad Forums 

• EL/DLW colors in RGB mode

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#383044  by washingtonsecondary

Does anyone here know the RGB values of EL's Grey, Maroon and Yellow? I went to the ELHS's web site and checked out their colors, figuring they would be close if not exact. I'm working on something for my son's room and want to paint one of his walls with an EL logo. I'd buy the paint at a model shop and have Home Depot match it, but I think if I give them the numerical RGB values it will be more accurate.

Thanks for the help.

This is what I got from their website.
Maroon:
R=88
G=0
B=0
Yellow:
R=255
G=209
B=32
Grey
R=150
G=159
B=158

#383081  by scottychaos

interesting!
I just plugged those numbers into photoshop and got these:

The maroon and yellow look pretty good,
however I dont agree with their grey numbers at all..
Grey should be totally neutral, all three numbers should be the same..
the numbers they have listed results in a grey with a slight cyan/blue cast..that cyan shouldnt be in there at all, it should be totally neutral, no overriding color at all, like this:

thats a pure neutral..

but remember, not everyones computer monitor is balanced the same, so you might not be seeing the colors im seeing! ;)

Scot

(unless...did EL grey maybe actually have a oh-so-slight blue cast??
I would tend to doubt it, but stranger things have happened! it actually probably varied a lot from order to order and manufacturer..and a few days in the sun changes colors quickly too..but I would tend to believe the original grey was a pure-neutral..although I dont know 100%..)
Last edited by scottychaos on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

#383087  by washingtonsecondary

Now that I see your grey comparied to mine (from Photo shop as well) I agree with you. I'll see if they can do a 150 150 150 grey for me.

#383350  by scottychaos

wow..when I made and posted those color patches this morning, I was working on my computer at work..(with a nice big high-end Kodak calibrated monitor! ;)
the maroon looked like a nice deep maroon, a great match for EL maroon!

now im home..
I thought my home monitor was pretty good!
but man..that same patch is a very dull brown!
monitor differences are HUGE..
which is why you cant rely on internet pics for color matching.

here is an experiment I did recently based on this same concept:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... sport.html

(opps..looks like I have a few dead picture links on that page...imageshack sucks..I will fix them.)

Scot

#383576  by Otto Vondrak

Color matching is going to be a little tricky, because of different platforms, different monitors, different lighting conditions. I think the RGB values you display are fairly consistent with what we take DLW colors to be.

-otto-

#384781  by calorosome

My PC at work has the DL&W color scheme for Windows.

#385551  by washingtonsecondary

Where oh where can I get that color scheme for windows?